Technical Sedici biting point

Currently reading:
Technical Sedici biting point

gavmill

Good morning all.

I have just bought a 2008 1.6 Sedici Dynamic. On the test drive I noticed the biting point was higher than I'm used to in previous cars. The seller said it was a common feature with Fiats. He did seem genuine and I hadn't driven a Fiat before so accepted it.

Anyhow. It might be buyer's remorse but looking into it now I'm starting to wonder if its a sign that the clutch is on the way out or is what I was told true - is it just that a Sedici has a high biting point?

Any thoughts / experiences greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Good morning all.

I have just bought a 2008 1.6 Sedici Dynamic. On the test drive I noticed the biting point was higher than I'm used to in previous cars. The seller said it was a common feature with Fiats. He did seem genuine and I hadn't driven a Fiat before so accepted it.

Anyhow. It might be buyer's remorse but looking into it now I'm starting to wonder if its a sign that the clutch is on the way out or is what I was told true - is it just that a Sedici has a high biting point?

Any thoughts / experiences greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Can't comment specifically on Sedici , but in general the higher you have to lift the pedal to get drive would suggest as you suspect. Though I have fitted clutches on some later cars that have felt very weak from new, to the point that I recorded it with the parts supplier, those did "bed in" and gave no trouble. If a business seller I would log your suspicions with them, but if private , not a lot you can do.

Can't comment specifically on Sedici , but in general the higher you have to lift the pedal to get drive would suggest as you suspect. Though I have fitted clutches on some later cars that have felt very weak from new, to the point that I recorded it with the parts supplier, those did "bed in" and gave no trouble. If a business seller I would log your suspicions with them, but if private , not a lot you can do.
Hi bugsymike.

Thanks for getting back to me. I've carried out a few tests and the clutch pedal isn't feeling soft, nor is it squeaky and the car stalls okay when starting in third. So, the only concerning sign is the seemingly high biting point but as I said this might just be relative. I did mention to the dealer this before buying so I think I'll just leave it just now as it is otherwise a very decent motor. Cheers.

If you find it troublesome to get the car moving, the clutch disc may be glazed. Mine certainly is worn, but it's not slipping just yet. I have a quick left foot, so it might have something to do with the problem. :unsure: Also the manual (not specific to this model) states that clutch should be used with low rpm.

If you find it troublesome to get the car moving, the clutch disc may be glazed. Mine certainly is worn, but it's not slipping just yet. I have a quick left foot, so it might have something to do with the problem. :unsure: Also the manual (not specific to this model) states that clutch should be used with low rpm.
Thanks eeeno. Could you please explain glazing? - I had a google but I'm now more confused than before.

Friction and heat caused by riding the clutch will make the disc surface glazed and it makes poor contact with the flywheel. If it's not juddering and works well, i'd not worry about it.

Friction and heat caused by riding the clutch will make the disc surface glazed and it makes poor contact with the flywheel. If it's not juddering and works well, i'd not worry about it.
Okay.Thanks. that's good to know. No other symptoms. .

Back