General Secondary Systems - Paint Questions

Currently reading:
General Secondary Systems - Paint Questions

Mferg

Sorry if this information already exists on the forum, but I wasn't able to locate it. I am trying to determine the correct paint colors and gloss levels for the secondary systems on my car (1958 N). Things like rims, suspension parts (a-arms, etc), brake drums, steering wheel, engine shrouds, exhaust, starter/dynamo, front and rear springs, roof frame, and anything else I am missing. I think I can get close by looking at photos, but people have done lots of creative things, so I wonder if anyone knows of a summary that exists for this type of information information. Trying to stay as original as I can and/or make changes only where it makes sense (paint unpainted items cast iron color, etc).

Thanks for any help.

To the best of my memory (my first 500, when doing my apprenticeship was an early 500) all the suspension parts, the brakes and the engine cowling, starter and dynamo casings were black. The exhaust came in a sort of silvery colour. You will require further input from Forum members with regard to the other items. Just for the record, I started my apprenticeship 57 years ago, hence my clouded memory!

I have two original 1959 N's and the engine shroud, etc. appears to have been painted with a satin black color. Danny at www.funimported.com, located in Connecticut, is knowledgeable about the early 500's and confirms satin is the correct gloss level. I did not ask him about wheel paint.

most of the "bits"... wishbones etc petrol tank were painted Satin black as pointed out...
some of the steering parts were painted a sort of coppery colour... and believe it of not things like Track rod ends were bare metal....
I did have the wheel colour somewhere I will see if I can find it....

Also.. the Fat 500 was designed to be a cheap car, so many things were not even plated to protect them like most other cars......

things like screws etc on the carb and such were simply plain metal not cad/yellow zinc plate....

other parts like brake back plates had a simple no primer satin black coating

Anything to cut costs...

Back