Technical Second Hand ABS Pump (Bosch 9) Coding on Fiat Motorhome 2012

Currently reading:
Technical Second Hand ABS Pump (Bosch 9) Coding on Fiat Motorhome 2012

Spatch1969

Hi,

We have recently had an ABS pump failure on our 2012 Fiat Ducato motorhome. We have had our pump removed and tested, and it is unrepairable. I see we have two options:
1) We take it to the dealers and get a new one fitted, approx cost £3700....
2) We get a second hand unit.

Now looking into the second hand unit option a bit further, and it appears this is not so straight forward. Matching part number appears to be critical as the eprom/erroms cant be reflashed? Is this true?

We have found a second hand ABS pump, with identical numbers, apart from one at the top of the plastic casing. I am trying to find out if this is significant. However, I am looking for advice about what is required to get it coded into the vehicle. I understand that it will require Proxy Alignment, but is there anything else I need to be aware of such as speedo calibration or vehicle wheel base or VIN number etc, or is there a risk it just wont be compatible??

I am new to this, and dont want to throw good money after bad by continuing down the second hand unit route only to find it will not work. I do not want to pay the main dealer prices, but if this is my only option then so be it.

I will be eternally grateful if some knowledgeable person could help here.

Many thanks in advance

Mark

Hi,

We have recently had an ABS pump failure on our 2012 Fiat Ducato motorhome. We have had our pump removed and tested, and it is unrepairable. I see we have two options:
1) We take it to the dealers and get a new one fitted, approx cost £3700....
2) We get a second hand unit.

Now looking into the second hand unit option a bit further, and it appears this is not so straight forward. Matching part number appears to be critical as the eprom/erroms cant be reflashed? Is this true?

We have found a second hand ABS pump, with identical numbers, apart from one at the top of the plastic casing. I am trying to find out if this is significant. However, I am looking for advice about what is required to get it coded into the vehicle. I understand that it will require Proxy Alignment, but is there anything else I need to be aware of such as speedo calibration or vehicle wheel base or VIN number etc, or is there a risk it just wont be compatible??

I am new to this, and dont want to throw good money after bad by continuing down the second hand unit route only to find it will not work. I do not want to pay the main dealer prices, but if this is my only option then so be it.

I will be eternally grateful if some knowledgeable person could help here.

Many thanks in advance

Mark
I believe there are companies that recon ABS units.
It also seems like you can have two types of problem , mechanical with the pump pistons sticking etc. and electronic (possibly caused by water ingress corrosion etc.
Either way it may be worth seeing if a company can offer to repair your old unit with a warranty of course.

I believe there are companies that recon ABS units.
It also seems like you can have two types of problem , mechanical with the pump pistons sticking etc. and electronic (possibly caused by water ingress corrosion etc.
Either way it may be worth seeing if a company can offer to repair your old unit with a warranty of course.
Bugsymike, the unit has already gone away for assessment and is unrepairable.
So I need a second hand unit, hence needing to find out about coding it in. Thanks.

A company called bba reman
May be able to answer your questions . Their contact details are on line.
Let us know how you get on.

You may wish to post photos of your unit showing the part numbers.

Thanks,

Here are pictures of the part numbers.

I have spoken to BBA and they can supply a recondituined unit with identical part numbers. If they can copy the data from the old one, then this makes the swap much easier.

However, if they cant, it still needs coding in, and they (well the chap I spoke to) dont know exactly what is involved, unfortunately.

So, if anyone knows what is involved with coding the unit in, eg proxy alignment, and if there is anything else I need to be aware of, pitfalls etc, I would be very grateful.

Thanks.

Attachments

• 20230421_123359.jpg
    20230421_123359.jpg
    198.5 KB · Views: 31
  • 20230420_120630.jpg
    20230420_120630.jpg
    230.7 KB · Views: 27
Veresecrazy, the unit was just removed and sent away for assessment. It is on its was back. The guy who took it off did just that, ie just took it off.

How would that limit my options?

Thanks

OK, yes but I still need to find a replacement. So, if I get a replacement with exactly the same numbers (as outlined above in my pics), do you know exactly what coding will be required?

Many thanks.

Is there no one on here who can advise what coding maybe required to get a new 'secondhand' ABS unit into a Fiat motorhome?

Proxy alignment, etc??

Is there no one on here who can advise what coding maybe required to get a new 'secondhand' ABS unit into a Fiat motorhome?

Proxy alignment, etc??
I have done "proxi alignment" with a Snap On Zeus Diagnostic tool for other stuff, mainly a new BCM module and passenger seat sensor on a 2012 Punto Evo, but I suspect if you go to the MES section of Forum you will get some advice re your issue.:)

Send your unit to bba reman to see if they can read the current programing/coding
If they can your problem is solved.

Last edited:
Thanks Jackwhoo,
It has already been to ECU Testing and ACtronics, and both say it is unrepairable.
I am speaking with BBA regarding getting a second hand unit, but unless they can read the data off of the old one, it will still need coding in.

Thanks Jackwhoo,
It has already been to ECU Testing and ACtronics, and both say it is unrepairable.
I am speaking with BBA regarding getting a second hand unit, but unless they can read the data off of the old one, it will still need coding in.
Has the hydraulic side failed or the electronic side failed?

If you haven't tried bba reman to try and read the current programming it has to be worth a try .
Unless you have been told by the two other places they couldn't read the programming??

Yes, this is what I am planning to do but I am still discussing with them. The others havent specifically said the data couldnt be read so I am hopeful.
I am just covering all bases incase BBA cant read it and I need coding done.
Its all a bit of a headache.....

Just send it to bba keep your fingers and everything else crossed they can sort it.
Don't give yourself an unnecessary headache in the mean time.

Back