Technical Seat Marbella Engine swap

Currently reading:
Technical Seat Marbella Engine swap

Hi All,

I've had a Seat Marbella now for about 5 years and inevitable the sills have rotted away and need to be replaced. Also part of the floor so it will be a while before I get around to this. I'm going to be stripping the entire car to sort out the rust issue and possible getting it re-sprays so it will be a bare shell to start on.

I've always been looking at changing the engine in it as it only got the 903 engine and not the quickest. From reading around the forum there appears to be several options available but I thought I would ask anyway.

I'm looking for an options where the engine/gearbox/drive drain can be a straight swap without modifying the engine mounts etc. Obviously the wiring will change and I've no issue with sorting that out. It needs to be something above 70bhp.

The easiest option to me is to get a running car and take all that is required off that and then scrap it. However I'm not clear what I should be getting. Whether it should just be a Punto MK1 or Mk2, Cinquecento / Seicento or new Panda.

If anyone has any experience on the best option it would be much appropriated or if you have something available that would fit.

Thanks in adance.
Daniel

Thanks,

If that's the case I may have to consider modifying then.

If anyone has any details of what mods are needed please let me know.

As for the Uno turbo, I bet these are hard to find but will keep a look at. Would it need to be mk1 or 2?

Been having a look today while stripping it and doesn't seem too hard from what I can tell. The engine mounts are bolt on so can always fabric something. Just means it will take me longer.

I'll start having a look for a donor car.

Anything is possible if you modify it! The easiest swaps are swapping fire series engines into already fire series cars. I swapped a 1242 Punto mk1 engine into a 141a Panda 4x4 and you only need a few things to support it as most of the bits remain i.e. gearbox drivetrain is the same Panda 4x4 one and the engine and ECU are from the Punto so it marries nicely. The problem you'll face is if you want to fire swap then you may need say the engine and wiring/ECU from a Punto mk1/2 (or other alternative, any fire series is possibly just varying electronics and work needed for newer ones especially) but then you'll need maybe a Panda classic donor for fire series box and shafts that will fit etc... the non fire swaps aren't as easy because of this but it has been done. I think the mk1 4x4 that Dragon Man mentioned was done by Sam Oliver, it used a similar engine to the Marbella albeit 965cc instead I believe, and he put a Cinq engine in it with injection instead of carb. I want to say that the engine was similar in size but the injection gave it a bit more oomph. I can't remember much else other than that though, there is not much information for this kind of swap as opposed to the fire swap so there may be some trial and error in your methods!

Thanks for the info. Will see how I get on. By the sounds of it even with a donor car I will need a gearbox and driveshafts from a Panda with a Fire engine.

If anyone does have these let me know.

Hi All
it seems the mechanical easiest option is an a112 abarth 70hp engine with a sportier cam, this would get you to about 75hp and next to no gearbox/shaft change or gear linkage type issues, only a tiny little bit of wiring.

finding one at reasonable costs is the main issue though.

Tim

I think finding one will be the issue as you say.

Going to look at getting a Punto mk 1 or 2 and take it from there. Just need to find the right one.

Will keep you posted.

Thanks
Daniel

If you do go for a fire swap and need Panda driveshafts then I'm mostly certain I have a set in storage, unfortunately I don't have a spare box - I think Uno ones are the same but just be sure you get the right mounts as well!

If you do have the drive shafts let me know how much you want for them.

I was thinking of getting this just for the gearbox and a few parts as I can't see it going back on the road.
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/393635672053999/

Don't want to be taking a Panda off the road if I don't have to.
In fairness, while that Panda is a very rare one, it is well and truly rusty! I doubt anyone is going to do it as it has been for sale for a long time and with a couple of owners now. As much as I hate to say it, it may be a good source of parts for you - not only that, the Panda group on Facebook and us on Fiat Forum as well may benefit from any salvageable parts... it should have the driveshafts you need there in fairness, but if you do need some and you don't get this, give me a bell and we can sort something!

Quick question. Is it only the mk1/2 Punto that I could use or would a Grand Punto be ok for the engine, ecu etc
Hi daniel, did you ever get this done?

i am planning on doing the same swap on my car this summer.

do you have any advise tips or any knowledge that might help?

Back