Seam or Stich Welding

Currently reading:
Seam or Stich Welding

Anyone on here had done or done this themselves?

Basically I want to do the whole of the car this would then hopefully take away any body flex and negate the need for a roll cage and more importantly save weight ;) ...

I'm also going to get front and rear triangulated strut braces made up by a local rollcage company

Any comments from people who have done it rather than read or seen pictures would be great (y)

Take it you have seen Duncan's Uno thread?

If it was me, I'd have a bash myself at stiching it. 150 for a welder and a bit of practice is cheaper than someone else, a life skill, and a free piece of hardware.

What is seam welding? continuous altong the length? Guess that'd be more tricky to do and more prep for sure.

Kristian

What is seam welding? continuous altong the length?

Yep. Greater chance of distortion occuring though as more heat is put into the panels.

If you're looking for a mig to do car panels, look for the LOWEST current it'll do rather than the highest.

Ahh no need to worry about my lack of welding talent have a friend who is well up for having a "bash" lol

Nah his work is sh!te hot (y)

Just wanted to know if anyone had done it...

Will speak to dunc (y)

I've done it on my 131 and basically where the original spot welded seam lip runs, I welded if for an inch or so, left a space then welded it again.

Takes a lot of prep/time to do the whole car though.

I've done it on my 131 and basically where the original spot welded seam lip runs, I welded if for an inch or so, left a space then welded it again.

Takes a lot of prep/time to do the whole car though.

Times not really an issue with this car :eek:

What prep did you do first other than stripping the interior where you are welding...

I recently did a little seam welding on my friends integrale, only because he complained that it sounded like driving a broken bed, and when we stripped it out, the shell had lots of stress fractures (cracks) above the windscreen, a post and top of the b pillar, had aleady helped do the engine bay and strut tops, common for the grale! so did a spot of strenthening and alls well, the cleaning off (prep) is the laborious bit, i use a wire type brush on a die grinder or drill, and have the same for heavy duty on the grinder, this easily removes any sealer and rust if needed, then its the welds, that are about 2 inch in lenth then leave an inch and so on, not continuous welds and keep a damp rag for cooling,we also drilled exra holes and plug welded them (where 3 panels overlap) clean off with the same wire brush, then zinc primer, (or hammerite as we used) dont forget to waxoil behind the welds and underneath, inside, where welding will have burnt the paint, pic of inner wing strenthening plates "Antsuno"

Attachments

• 10052007038.jpg
    10052007038.jpg
    566.5 KB · Views: 48
  • 11052007045.jpg
    11052007045.jpg
    566.6 KB · Views: 42
  • 11052007063.jpg
    11052007063.jpg
    523.3 KB · Views: 39
I've had a lucky turn of evants a friend I haven't spoken to for ages has just offered me part rental on a garage with a 2post lift for 50quid a month :eek: :D

He also is a demon welder after having done a 32week course :slayer:

Back