Technical Sealing the rear lights

Currently reading:
Technical Sealing the rear lights

Hi all,

This is probably the wrong way to do it, but I'll see if it works in the months to come.

First step was cleaning and drying out the lights. The entire lens came off one of the indicators and had to be hot glue gunned back on :shakehead:. Found cracks on all four lights between the lenses and the main parts of the units, so had to glue these up watertight. Bizarre way of checking if they're watertight is to take the bulb out and stick the lips on the hole and blow (steady on...:rolleyes:) then see if air pours out of anywhere. One of mine had obviously been a problem as it has two drain holes drilled in the bottom!
There was a hell of a lot of condensation in two of them, took 3 days in the airing cupboard to dry out!

Lightsdryingout.jpg

Was handy to know when the towels needed to slow down or turn though.

The sealing arrangement is, if I'm honest, a rubbish design. I don't think the seals on mine are in brilliant condition either and wouldn't be too surprised if someone hadn't made them up from section at some point. Used some rubber to pack out the seal at the lower edges of the lamps to make them sit in the right place:

Packedoutseal.jpg

Put a tiny smear of liquid soap around the edges of the seals to aid refitting and bolted them back in. The top edges of the seals seem to be where the water ingress problem lies on mine - it's such a tiny face the rubber has to sit against and it doesn't always meet and sit right:

Lightgap.jpg

So I cleaned off any remaining liquid soap and set to work with some sealant and a tiny paintbrush. This stuff goes on white but dries clear:

Lightsiliconed.jpg

It's drying off now, but hopefully this will sort it for me. If not, I'll be buying a length of rubber U-strip and trying to fashion a more effective remedy :)

Last edited:
You could have put the lights in the oven to dry out instead ;) I had mine on 50°C for 3 hours or so, and they were as good as new when they came out. Put them back on the B and after 2 weeks they were full of condensation again...:rolleyes:

In all honesty I wouldn't trust my oven with plastic lights! The Barchetta's a second car so there's no problem with it being garaged up. Weather was rubbish and I was full of flu anyway, so there was no rush :D

Both my 11year old bravo rear lights had cracking/seperation between the lense and body. I had 4 actually because of a project. Filled it with glue and then put silicone sealant ontop.

I smashed one of the naff clusters up that clear plastic is very strong.

All ok now but if the car windows steam up so do the rear lights. This is because in the bravo they are not air tight, the back of the light is open to the inside of the car.

nice DIY.
btw: vacuum cleaner is better.... er... what are we talking about?

my girlie has already figured out why i bought her a flashy hairdryer as one of her birthday presents last year, though as my neighbour found out, it gets damn hot, it melted parts of a headlight he was trying to dry out.

Back