General Screwdrivered lock - Can't open door!

Currently reading:
General Screwdrivered lock - Can't open door!

GrumpyOldMan

Hello All,
Last night some kind soul put a screwdriver in both door locks of my 2001 Fiat Seicento SX. I can open the passenger door by climbing in through the tailgate and using the handle, but the drivers door will not unlock at all so I can't open it. When I open the passenger door the central locking is trying to work on the drivers door but it wont. I'm at a loss as to what to do. If I disconnect the battery will that release the central locking? Any other suggestions?
The car does have central locking but obviously no immobiliser as the car can be driven by climbing in through the passenger door (after we have climbed in through the boot to open it!!). The lock is completely mangled and bent out of position so that may be contributing to the problem.
It was my own fault in a way as I left the stereo fascia on so I suppose they were after that. They never got in though for some reason but the damage will cost more to repair than the value of the stereo even when it was new. :cry:Sods.
If I can get the door open I am considering not replacing the locks but maybe putting in a remote for the central locking. Does anyone have experience of that?
Sorry if this is a lot to ask in my first post but I'm at a loss so far.
Cheers,
Ian.

hello and welcome to the forum! i would start by getting inside the car and removing the door card from the drivers side. if you pull the white foam stuff away so you can see the internals of the lock mechanism. i would disconnect the damaged lock. this should then allow the door to open and close but not lock. atleast when this damaged part has been removed you will be able to replace it.

Also, your car will have an immobliser. Its built into the key and turns off automatically when the key comes into range of the ingnition

But as rory says, you should be able to get at the lock from inside. As far as I can tell the Sei locks are seperate, so you should be able to disconnect them, or at least force them into the unlocked position from the back

1st of all its not your fault.its just unfortunate you cant leave your stereo!

right the drivers locks fooked so finish what they started and try and het it removed.
most likely its jamming the rods that allow the central locking to open the door.
if you look inside the door you can see a central locking moror that is a simple push/pull solenoid.
consider and alarm or at a minimum a nice flashing led

https://www.fiatforum.com/cinquecento-seicento-guides/113332-flashing-alarm-led-no-alarm.html

Hello all,
Thanks for the replies. I managed to get the door open by removing the door card and taking off the spring clip which held the lock in place so that the lock could be removed. Once it was removed the mechanism worked okay. It isn't much of a job to pop another lock in place if I can get one. Problem is the door is now mangled out of shape. I've managed to get it not too bad but I'm going to try a bit more tomorrow. I'm impressed with the Seicento's strength though as they'd obviously had a fair go at it.
Surprisingly, the most difficult part was getting the door card off. All except one of the fixing studs stayed on the car and simply ripped itself from the card and they don't seem to want to seperate either. They seem a bit over the top for holding a bit of cardboard in place!
I've done the rounds of all the motor shops in my area today to see about remote central locking. Nothing suitable available locally though, especially Halfords who had nothing at all! I found some on ebay at a reasonable price so I may go for one of those and put the lock back in disconnected.
Thanks for all the help.
Ian.

Last edited:
Try these...
Thanks for that, the Falcon kit looks interesting. One thing I don't know though is if my Seicento has central locking which works from both locks. The passenger side lock didn't work when we got the car so I am unable to try it. I do know that if I open the passenger door from inside the drivers door also unlocks so does that mean that it does? It makes a difference to which kit I can use apparently.
Cheers,
Ian.

passenger and drivers should have a motor so both are powered
however you can get the proper meta(as fiat fit) seicento remote central locking upgrade kit which is plug and play

Yes, but they only come with one fob and a second costs as much as the kit.
You also may need to mod the relay module to make it work as they are designed for the punto etc.

Thanks for that, the Falcon kit looks interesting. One thing I don't know though is if my Seicento has central locking which works from both locks. The passenger side lock didn't work when we got the car so I am unable to try it. I do know that if I open the passenger door from inside the drivers door also unlocks so does that mean that it does? It makes a difference to which kit I can use apparently.
Cheers,
Ian.

Both doors are 5 wire or master but this doesn't matter so any kit should be ok as you splice into the negative trigger wires in the passanger side door pillar/footwell cabling which runs the existing door motor control.

You just wire up the voltage free contacts on the remote module to switch to 0volts. use bullet or spade connectors so you can swop the wires if you get open/close the wrong way round.

Thanks for all the help people, it's much appreciated.
I had a look for the Meta Fiat kit but it seems it is no longer available, I may have gone for that purely for the ease of installation despite the cost. It would still have been cheaper than a couple of new locks, but obviously not if it only comes with one fob. Maybe Fiat can still supply them?
Anyhow, I bought a Gemini kit off a guy on ebay for £24.50 inc postage. It looks okay and is a recognised name with a good reputation (I hope!).
I think it may be an older model as I could only find a later model on general sale but that was on sale for £55 so I'm hoping it will be reasonable. He reckons it should take me about an hour and a half to install so I'll do it on Saturday. I'll post back to let you know how I get on.
Just one more thing if you don't mind. I was going to put the locks back in the holes and not have them working (take the black plastic lever thingy off) but I was wondering if anyone knows if it is possible to buy blanking plates instead that would maybe bolt on from inside. I don't want some other idiot to come along and do the same again.
Cheers,
Ian.

I could but that would cost almost as much as the car is worth!
Cheap and cheerful is what I'm after. I'm only going the remote locking route because it will be cheaper than two new locks and remember I'm HAVING to do this because some scumbag mashed up my locks.
Cheers,
Ian.

An engineering firm could punch out some stainless blanking circles to fit in the lock recess and spot weld a stud on so you can bolt them in place.

Or try getting some stainless penny washers with stainless domed allen key bolts that you can drill to remove the hex shape?

Last edited:
Or try getting some stainless penny washers with stainless domed allen key bolts that you can drill to remove the hex shape?
Yes, good idea. There's an engineering supplies firm near where I work so I may give them a visit. I don't think I'd bother drilling the hex out, even with an Allen key you'd need to have a spanner on the back even to get it open enough to get a finger in I think
Thanks.
Ian.

Hi all,
Got my remote centrol locking kit but decided it looked a bit of a faff to fit as I don't have a manual or a wiring diagram. So I nipped to the local scrappy and got a pair of locks with key for £8. Had it done in about 10 minutes as the door card was still off. Was a bit tricky as the door had become mis-shaped but a bit of bending soon had it flat enough to get the clip on and it doesn't look too bad considering. I may go back and get the boot lock so they all work on the same key although more often than not I open the boot from inside so I may not bother.
I'll probably end up relisting the remote unit on ebay. There's a place in Italy that still have the Meta unit by the way. I think it was 56 euro's or so with about 11 euro's postage so I might get one of those instead although it only comes with one fob.
Thanks for all the help (y),
Ian.

Yes, but they only come with one fob and a second costs as much as the kit.
You also may need to mod the relay module to make it work as they are designed for the punto etc.

i bought a meta remote central locking kit brand new for my sei sx from ebay, just swapped the yellow module box under the dash, and i got 2 remotes for it aswell

Back