Technical screen washer motor isnt working

Currently reading:
Technical screen washer motor isnt working

fiatlady

My fiat punto screen washers appear to have stopped working. At first I thought the water bottle was empty as the motor was heard but no water came out, but I didnt need much water to fill it up so that wasnt the problem. The washer motor was making a noise when i pulled or puched the lever but only a very slow trickle came out of the front and nothing at the back. I checked for blockages with a needle and also made sure the pipes were connected under the bonnet. I tried again and after a while the motor noise also stopped as well. I noticed the fuse is the same one as the wipers and they still work so it cant be a dead fuse. Can anyone suggest what I can do. My punto is an '02 1.2 Active. I've just had a new battery put in but its only done 42000 miles so isnt worn out. Thanks

The snow has cleared now and i think its been above freezing all day. Even when its been below freezing the washers used to work after a bit of driving around as the engine gets warmer but they havent for the past 2 days. I had a new battery put in yesterday although hadnt been able to use the car over christmas due to the battery been flat until yesterday. Thanks

When you pull back the stalk can you hear the little motor?

Lift up the bonnet and listen whilst you do it. If you can hear it the little T junction under the bonnet may have failed. Costs a few pence and is simple to fit.

When you pull back the stalk can you hear the little motor?

Lift up the bonnet and listen whilst you do it. If you can hear it the little T junction under the bonnet may have failed. Costs a few pence and is simple to fit.

No, i cant hear the motor anymore. when i pull or push the wiper stalk, the wipers moce but still no water comes out and the motor whirrin g sound doesnt happen now, have i broke the wssher motor by trying to get it going when perhaps it was gunged up? how much would a garage charge to fix it?

About an hour, my husbands usually unfreezes but mine hasnt. We took it to the local garage today and they said it needs a new washer motor (although we dont think they had a good look at it) and they said the motor would cost about 31 and labour about 18 so we are looking at about 50 plus vat to get it sorted. they cant do it till next week as they have to get the part from fiat. Seems expensive for a small washer motor but i know nothing about cars so have to take their word for it, pity there isnt a website that shows how much parts cost.

Btw halfords do a range of generic windscreen washer motors off the shelf, think they are about £15-20 so that may reduce the cost a little if they have a suitable one. Also noticed on ebay there are loads of new or used washer pumps for the punto going for around £10, http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Fiat-Punto-Do...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item1e59b171de

Also does the rear windscreen washer work. Not sure about on punto but on some cars the pump spins one way for the front and the other for the rear. If you the rear bit still works you could just swap the pipes over and live without a rear screen wash.

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
I think myn has done the same. Having little knowledge about cars would that ebay link work on a mark 2 fiat punto ? 02 plate my mate said it could be my switch or the motor thats gone. ITs a bit of a pain when it goes like

Does anyone know if the Punto is a single direction motor with a switch valve, or a bi-directional one that turns one way for front washers, the other for rear? The reason I ask is that my motor is not turning this morning. When I open the bonnet and listen while I push the washer stalk backwards and forwards, I can hear a click when switching from front to back (only a very quiet click if the repeat in the same direction). Now this is either the valve switching between front and back, therefore I have a knackered motor, or if it is bi-directional, it could be the blades catching on frozen screen wash. I will be annoyed if it is the latter because I am using Auto Express recommended Sonax concentrate, and it's not that cold today.

Ahh, judging by some photos, it looks like it may be a reversible motor. In that case, there is probably just ice jamming it from turning in either direction, which is why I only hear a small click if I repeat in the sam direction, but a louder click when I change direction. I will be annoyed with Sonax if this is the case though.

Worst comes to worst, new genuine motors from Fiat are only £31, and it's certainly DIY-able.

Drama over, I went back to my car after it had been standing in the sun for a little while, and the motor is back up an running again. Never had that problem using undiluted Asda concentrate. I might increase the Sonax concentration from 1:100 to 1:50 instead over winter.

Back