Scooby crash at Castle Combe!

Currently reading:
Scooby crash at Castle Combe!

Karting does teach racing line and overtaking skills undeniably but I know what Pauls saying.

Karts aren't no where near as heavy as cars the braking distances aren't even relevant in a kart compared to a small hatchback and I aint never seen anyone do a long drift in a go kart It might even be impossible by the laws of physics.

Poor scooby man.. I know I'd be pissed... unless what was in my wallet could easily pay to fix it or buy a new one :D

If you want to see a long drift in a kart, search for the "Gixxerkart" video on google. One German madman, one go-kart with a GSXR 1-litre bike motor, and one set of tyres destroyed pretty quickly :D

I've got a bit of experience of track days in my 5 Turbo which I got tuition from first time I went, and from driving Formula Fords and race prepped 4.2L Jag E-types MGTF160's for which I had approx 8 hours of tuition with from instructors up at Knockhill, I also did extensive practise on skid pans in a 1.8L Sierra which as you know is rear wheel drive and had racing slicks on the back on a skid pan made for over steer heaven, I got good enough to to figure of 8's in it round cones which was the best fun ever. The basic error that the guy did when entering the corner with oversteer was to apply to much opposite lock which is a knee jerk reaction to over steer when untrained, hence the snap lift off oversteer in the opposite direction causing him to hit the wall. The first thing you get taught by an instructor is to remove the power to the wheels by dipping the clutch as all cars by nature want to remain in a straight line, not to brake, as this weighs up the front even more and exacerbates the oversteer, and not to apply to much opposite lock, you have to try and feel the road through your bum, its sometimes even advisable to apply some more power, which in the case of this guy I believe would have kept him clear of the wall. This is a basic principle that is applied to karts, formula ford and just about any motorised 4 wheel vehicle you care to name.

Yes it is a 4 wheel drive car, but it, like my integrale and most other proper 4 wheel drive cars (forget Audi VW as they drive like front wheel drive cars as they have the crap Haldex system that only puts power rear ward when it detects slip) is rear biased, so the principles are the same. One thing with a lot of modern machinery, especially with the Jap stuff, is there are so many electronic gizmo's to "aid" the driver but in fact I think they are in making the average driver less able to deal with the unexpected when it happens as up until then the car has made them feel like a rally warrior which they clearly are not.

Any kind of proper training, however short or in whatever vehicle helps, it the fastest mod you can ever do!

Aaron.

Thats why theres the fiat seicento michael scumacher edition (y)

to be fair to that scooby bloke (assuming it was a bloke :rolleyes: ) he almost caught it! he should have straightened up the wheel towards the end of the drift instead of letting it snap back. he might have taken to the grass but in a bit more of a straight line.
yea! like i could have saved it!!! i think i'll shut up!

Back