General Schematics Panda 750

Currently reading:
General Schematics Panda 750

panda_owner

I have another question. does anybody know where I could find some schematics (mechanical and/or electrical) about fiat panda 750 FIRE/non FIRE?
thanks in advance!

shop manuals are my only guess, it depends on what you´re looking for though:D.

I have tried but still need more info to be able to help.:D

what information could help your judgement? I can add that car sometimes chokes to death with full gas and full choke! it hardly works (with 1 or 2 cylindar ) and then it accelerates to 1500 RPM , but if it falls under that RPM, he's gone. just turns him self off...

Most "Haynes" Panda manual cover the "FIRE 750".
The are common on Ebay.

As your Panda has a choke knob I guess it's a fairly basic one:
have a look inside the distributor and check the condition of the "points" (contact breaker set).
You might find that the heel is worn down and there is virtually no gap.

It adjusts with a hexagonal key inserted through a hole in the body of the distributor (on the magnetti marelli version) needs a gap of 0.45mm, or dwell angle of 51 to 55 degrees.

It's awkward to replace, and expensive in the UK market too.

May not be your problem, but it does get ignored due to the difficulty in doing anything with it...

If the carb is working and you got fuel pressure then i´ll have to say check compression and timming. A few more details would be helpfull:D

thank you, John H, but in my Panda there is elecrtonic ignition (something like guitar pickup connected to elecrtonic 'trigger' and then into bobin-inductance).

OK.

If it's the magnetti marelli unit I've had some dealings with...

IME it will work reliably until it gets very hot:
usually when waiting in traffic.

It will then cut out, and no ammount of cranking will get it going until it has cooled down a bit.

I changed the distributor - because it was the cheap quick fix option for me.

You might be able to get either the pick-up coil, or the amplifier module, as spare parts.

I never did find out which of the two parts it was, although there is a view held by many that the coil wiring is the problem.

Regards

John H.

P.S. some people will tell you it is a Hall effect sensor, but it measures 800 ohms in either direction with a test meter, and produces a voltage on the two wires it has when a magnet is moved nearby.

HES is a three wire device.

Draw your own conclusion.

just for thoose that own panda and have similar problem:
I've discovered that everything is OK (coil, electronics, pick-up), but probably it mailfunctiones from high temperature. So I installed a regular PC fan (the one on the processor) and added a LE diode so I can see if there is no spark in case car won't start.

Originally posted by panda_owner
So I installed a regular PC fan (the one on the processor) and added a LE diode so I can see if there is no spark in case car won't start.

:D:D:D...;)

<--Ihihih!

I think I can help with this one...

I had EXACTLY this problem on my Lancia Y10 last year, which has the same Magnetti Marelli distributor. It would cut out... of course, only in traffic in downtown Geneva [:(!] (due to high temperature) and then start up perfectly after about 15 minutes.

In my case it was the amplifier module on the distributor (the thing with the heat sink on it, right John H?). I replaced only this part and I've never had that problem again. :D

As a quick and dirty test of my theory: when it cuts out again, try dissipating a little heat from the module (say, just by placing your hand on the heat sink) and then check that it will start back up much sooner.

Cheers!

Originally posted by FatNote
I think I can help with this one...

I had EXACTLY this problem on my Lancia Y10 last year, which has the same Magnetti Marelli distributor. It would cut out... of course, only in traffic in downtown Geneva [:(!] (due to high temperature) and then start up perfectly after about 15 minutes.

In my case it was the amplifier module on the distributor (the thing with the heat sink on it, right John H?). I replaced only this part and I've never had that problem again. :D

As a quick and dirty test of my theory: when it cuts out again, try dissipating a little heat from the module (say, just by placing your hand on the heat sink) and then check that it will start back up much sooner.

Agreed about the amplifier module being likely cause - my problem was it's not for sale as a separate item in the UK :(
But I was fortunate enough to get a good distributor from a breaker.

You may be luckier in your part of the World with new spares...

Back