General Sceicento Sport Squeak,.

Currently reading:
General Sceicento Sport Squeak,.

Wallmart

my sporting has picked up a weird squeak coming from front nearside wheel any ideas what this could be, it happens usually between 20-45mph and stops when the wheel is turned. :confused:

ok cheers for your help had a feeling it might be dirt because it only started after i'd driven to a friends yard which is muddy and covered in chippings and loose pebbles. Shall check these things, also noticed the squeak is usually only apparent when the car has been running for a few miles not immediately could this alter the problem.?

If it starts only after travelling for a while this would suggest thermal expansion. This could be anything at all rubbing, most likely the brakes of course. Could be a ceased caliper/cylinder if it does it all the time. I had this last night, and then it randomly went away, not had it today. Mine was a really horrible screeching, sounded like my exhaust was dragging behind me!

After a long journey feel the temperatures of all the rims, whichever is hottest is obviously the one which is binding.

yeah mine sounds very similar, more like a woodland creature is being mangeled in my wheel, high pitch screeching, it is not constant as of yet but is becoming more frequent, i am pretty certain now however it is the brakes as the steering which seemed to counter the problem before no longer does and just braking does this. sounds like a brake problem which is a blessing,. bearings are not a strong point.

the front passenger wheel is the only rim which is hot so clearly i believe this is where the fault lies. so would people suggest this definately to be a brake issue?

Its most likely to be the brakes, as bearings are more of a grinding noise rather than a high pitch squealing. Get some giant plumbing grips and squeeze the piston back in and out a few times. Be careful not to damage the surface, or pump the piston too far out. Next use a screwdriver to scratch away all the rust along the sections where the caliper slides along. Once you know the caliper is not seazed stick it back together with loads of copper slip, make sure you coat the BACK of the pads with it as it stops them vibrating.

Steve

okay i shall have a look at this a day i don't have college or work.
possibly tommorrow weather permitting,
thanks for all your help i'll post back with a verdict. :)

:D

yesterday morning i disassembled the front break removed the pads and all the rust from the cradles and the disc, pads were almost perfect so not the issue. i also took steves advice and pumped the piston a few times, as of yet the squeak has not returned, maybe all it needed was taking apart and re-assembling,.

:D

yesterday morning i disassembled the front break removed the pads and all the rust from the cradles and the disc, pads were almost perfect so not the issue. i also took steves advice and pumped the piston a few times, as of yet the squeak has not returned, maybe all it needed was taking apart and re-assembling,.

Smidge of coppaslip on the back of the pads may help.

Cheers

SPD

probably rust stopping the pad from relaxing when the breaks were applied, i would recommend doing the other side, as its likely to be in the same state, brakes are important on a car...lol

Also take a water hose to your front wheels once a week. What i do is poke the hose through the holes in the wheels and watch the dust drain away. Makes everything much easier at service time.

Also take a water hose to your front wheels once a week. What i do is poke the hose through the holes in the wheels and watch the dust drain away. Makes everything much easier at service time.

Like the idea but I'd only want to do that if I was going to drive straight away and dry everything off.

Cheers

SPD

i shall dismantle the other side at some point too,
still no squeak after a round trip bristol to swindon,
so all is looking positive thanks for all the help.

Back