Road_Rat_Work_March_2009_026.jpg

Panda (Classic) Satan's Rodent (NCF Road Rat kit car)

Introduction

This is Satan's Rodent. It's a kit car built by NCF Motors in the early 90's, based on MK1 Panda 4x4 running gear. I bought it on a whim at the 2004 National Kit Car Show, Newark, and have slowly been rebuilding it since then. I have also converted it to the FIRE engine.

287.jpg

Technically it's not road legal right now but when it's finished the rebuild all I need to do is tax, test and insure it and I can take to the public roads in it. So it is a road legal vehicle. For those wondering how it's because it is not subject to SVA, as it was originally built and put on the road before SVA became a legal requirement.

Don't know if it is a legal requirement these days for new cars, but two examples from my fleet:

No windscreen on my Westfield, just a 2" strip of opaque plastic angled at 45 degrees on the scuttle. No-one ever complained to me. Been stopped loads of times by coppers and they never wanted to talk about the windscreen and it passes MOTs.

I could just fold the windscreen onto the bonnet in my Land Rover as it was hinged (if I wanted a face full of flies).

The Ariel Atom, The Radical R models, The KTM X-Bow.

Theres only a few of the many windscreenless road legal cars

Actually, it is ordinary 15mm domestic heating copper pipe. I didn't know that. Can you get automotive copper pipe in 15mm? To be honest, if it does crack it'll be a five minute job to replace it so I'm not too concerned but thanks for pointing it out.

There is no legal requirement for a car to have a windscreen, often when people are building a kit car they do not fit a screen for the sva test to avoid the problems regarding window wipers and design of the screen and frame. Once the car has been through the sva test the owner can then fit these items if required.

Back