SATA and SATA II ????????

Currently reading:
SATA and SATA II ????????

Tabblink182

Civic type-r Driver
Ive come here rather than any computer forum because yes, i trust everyone here, so calling all nerds ?

my dell recently went kaaaboooom, i think its the motherboad bit i really cant be bothered to fix it, it is 3 years old now so could do with replacing anyway

ive just decided to change it, ive seen a really good deal on a new barebones unit, just a case, cpu, psu, motherboard and fans, the thing is that my old hard-drive which i wish to keep is old SATA but the new motherboard only has SATA II, can i still use it with my new system ?? im not sure about the backward and forward compatability of it yet :confused:

thanks in advance :D

i have read that page and its just numbers :confused:

quoting "SATA 100" "ATA 100" "PATA"and stuff like that, i may be a little computer illiterate but i really dont understand that page

(n)

i have read that page and its just numbers :confused:

quoting "SATA 100" "ATA 100" "PATA"and stuff like that, i may be a little computer illiterate but i really dont understand that page

(n)

SATA-150 and SATA-300

SATA is designed to be backwards and forwards compatible with future revisions of the SATA standard[8].

According to the hard drive manufacturer Maxtor, motherboard host controllers using the VIA and SIS chipsets VT8237, VT8237R, VT6420, VT6421L, SIS760, SIS964 found on the ECS 755-A2 which was manufactured in 2003, do not support SATA II 300 drives. To address interoperability problems, the largest hard drive manufacturer Seagate/Maxtor have added a user-accessible jumper-switch known as the Force 150, to select between SATA-150 and SATA/300 operation[2]. Users with a SATA-150 motherboard with one of the listed chipsets should either buy an ordinary SATA-150 hard disk, buy a SATA-300 hard disk with the user-accessible jumper, or buy a PCI or PCI-E card to add full SATA II capability and compatibility.

;)

Back