General Safe psi on uno turbo

Currently reading:
General Safe psi on uno turbo

Metro_vvc

Whats a safe psi to run on my mk1 uno turbo?

Its standard apart from a 2nd intercooler, filter, full stainless and dumpvalve.

Thanks in advance (y)

Rob

The engines (1.3 and 1.4) were both designed to run 1.0Bar (14.7 Psi) but were turned down to 0.75 (Hence the 0.75BAR overboost switch) due to the press crashing them when launched!
or so i heard anyway!

There are lots of rumors, but they are just that, rumors not facts.

Uno turbos will run safely up to 1.0 bar boost. The boost will drop off at high rpm if using a normal style boost controller.

If it's a MK2 just disconnect the overboost sensor located at the top left hand side of the engine it's just two wires tape them up and away you go.. :devil:

EDIT: Just read it's a MK1 not sure if they are the same

Last edited:
Well i know that on my old mk2 turbo, when i used to put a NAIL (This was when i bought it and i knew **** all about uno turbos) in the vacuum pipe to the ECU.

This somehow made the turbo spin to 2.1-BAR but i think it might have been todo with the bleed-valve.

But ****ing hell did it go!!!!!!
But it made a 1.5inch crack from the wastegate!
So only run 0.4BAR again but bought a new housing (£80) then out it on but never boosted up properly again, got fired from my job so couldnt afford it so i stripped it down to a bare shell!

But somehow the engine NEVER EVER missed a beat.
I cant wait to get my new one! (y)

jamie86 said:
If it's a MK2 just disconnect the overboost sensor located at the top left hand side of the engine it's just two wires tape them up and away you go.. :devil:

EDIT: Just read it's a MK1 not sure if they are the same

Yeah they use the same system

Where do you put a boost tap on a Mrk1 UT?

I wanna wind the boost up a bit on my UT but only now and then for a little fun, but leave it down low or perhaps practically off boost for daily driving.

Muzzie said:

I wanna wind the boost up a bit on my UT but only now and then for a little fun, but leave it down low or perhaps practically off boost for daily driving.
oh dear(n)
fueling needs sorting or you will either under fuel or overfuel which is not good for the health of the engine(y)
and thats only to 1.0 bar. after that the head gasket will not tolerate high boost long. it needs modifying

Last edited:
Muzzie said:

On the actuator line.

sumplug said:
oh dear(n)
fueling needs sorting or you will either under fuel or overfuel which is not good for the health of the engine(y)
and thats only to 1.0 bar. after that the head gasket will not tolerate high boost long. it needs modifying

Hmmmmmmm mixed messages. Some people say it's safe to 1.0bar beofre fuel and some say it's not. Make up your mind people!!!!!!!

My one has an aftermarket fuel pump of some sort on it anyways, cause it don't fit the original bracket very well and is partially cable tied to the body :)

I think those fuel-pump cable ties are a safety 'feature' fitted by The Italian Job (Auckland FIAT service centre) since my car had them too, even though the mounts were fine.

I turned up the boost on my Mk1 some time ago, it runs absolutely great at 1bar. Steve is right of course, the ECU is mapped that far (take a look at the graphs in a Haynes Uno manual). I'm not sure what is happening beyond 1 bar, though. :)

I think if increasing the boost, the recirculating air valve become crucial - if it leaks, you lose some of the 'extra'. Also, cleaning my intercooler seems to have made a difference - probably in the re-tightening of the various hose connections. I'm going to try water-spray on the intercooler next.

-Alex

a standard uno turbo will run 1 barno problem. the ecu on uno turbos is a very clever bit of kit and will actually adjust the fuelling itself when the boost is raised. but....it will only adjust it to an extent, after 1bar of boost, u will have to adjust the fueling by another means, like FSE fuel regulator, bigger injectors etc

Dunc

alexGS said:
I think those fuel-pump cable ties are a safety 'feature' fitted by The Italian Job (Auckland FIAT service centre) since my car had them too, even though the mounts were fine.

I turned up the boost on my Mk1 some time ago, it runs absolutely great at 1bar. Steve is right of course, the ECU is mapped that far (take a look at the graphs in a Haynes Uno manual). I'm not sure what is happening beyond 1 bar, though. :)

I think if increasing the boost, the recirculating air valve become crucial - if it leaks, you lose some of the 'extra'. Also, cleaning my intercooler seems to have made a difference - probably in the re-tightening of the various hose connections. I'm going to try water-spray on the intercooler next.

-Alex

Right that's it, I've decided I need more boost lol!

As for the fuel pump - it's not fitted by TIJ I don't think, the original mounts aren't even close to fitting, so they have mutiple cable ties and one bolt holding it to the frame of the car. Hangs a little lower than factory though.

How did you clean out your intercooler? I'm about to put a new front bumper on my UT so access to the cooler will be nice and unresricted so if it makes such a difference I may as well do it then.

Dunc Uno Turbo said:
a standard uno turbo will run 1 barno problem. the ecu on uno turbos is a very clever bit of kit and will actually adjust the fuelling itself when the boost is raised. but....it will only adjust it to an extent, after 1bar of boost, u will have to adjust the fueling by another means, like FSE fuel regulator, bigger injectors etc

Dunc

Will just having bigger injectors suffice? I think I can get a set of injectors 25% bigger than standard UT ones, will that fix the leaning out on fuel above 1bar, on their own?

hmm 1.0 bar is safe

so

what max rpm are safe for uno turbo mk1?
sometimes i go to 8000rpm....

what max rpm are safe?

Muzzie, you'll be fine with 1 bar of boost with standard injectors etc. you dont need to do anything. set it to 1 bar, go for a drive, get into 3rd and floor it, if its starting to miss fire, then notch the boost down a bit to 12psi then try again. i think you'll find its fine at 1 bar tho (14.7psi)
you dont really need to fit the bigger injectors yet, as they may overfuel your car as i know its standard isnt it?

LuiPoland, i really dont reccomend 8000rpm!! lol

get a rev limiter fitted and set it to about 6300, but your max power is at about 5750 if i remember correctly.

ive got my rev limit set to 7400rpm on my mk2, but then again, ive had alot of engine work and its been built to take this!

Dunc

Back