Styling Rusty sunroof

Currently reading:
Styling Rusty sunroof

Stickman

Morning-ish!

After following Custard's exellent guide on sunroof leak fixes I've now sealed all of the sunroof components with silicone and that seems to have done the trick and stopped water ingress. But when it was leaking (around the lifter block and the glass pane itself) the collected water has rusted away some of the sunroof that was near it (see pic).

RustySunroof.jpg

Does anyone have any ideas how to treat this? I've lined the inner seal of the sunroof with sealant so most of it won't leak anymore, but that rusty bit is too broken up to seal (and looks rubbish).

Cheers

Last edited:
If it was me, I would either leave it as it is or just get a new one from a scrappy. For the time, money and effort you would need to spend on making it look decent you may as well get a decent one in the first place and fit that. If it was surface rust it'd be a different story.

Erk... yeah that's about what I thought. Perhaps just a sanding down, some black paint and some sealant. If this was higher on my priority list (currently headed by alloy refurbs) I would consider a filler job. I dont know.. worth it??

Cheers

If u want to keep that one id sand down then use a bottle of stuff called rust remedy when you paint it over the rust it turns it black ready for paint to be applied this also stops it rusting any more.

strangly enough I did mine today - noticed a little leaking onto the passenger seat.

Found mine to be in a simlar state (albeit nowhere near as bad!) - and used some left over liquid epoxy I had, which has sealed it up a treat (y)

Back