Technical rusty sump

Currently reading:
Technical rusty sump

my sump is getting quite rusty now and wanna try avoid replacing it for the moment, so... i have a pot of red hammerite paint which i used for my calipers... would this stuff be ok to use on the sump to tidy it up a little and seal it a little? i know the red wont exactly look normal on the bottom of the engine, but im thinking more practicality and cost.

i just replaced my sump and its not expensive to do and easy enough to do but i did mine at work on a ramp and replaced the centre exhaust. cost: sump £31.00 rtv sealant £7.50

With the sump - you'll need to clean it up (ie remove road rubbish and Oil)
Clean The rust off it
Try treating it with rust solution
Then Painting it

Rust is Cancer for cars - Once its there its hard to get rid off
Only way is completly Remove it off - which might not be possible as you dont wanna go sanding off any metal really

Yes Treating and Painting it is a Quick Solution - But a replacement thats been prepared is only way to stop it getting worse

And replacing the sump is delicate work and hard as well
You've got to break the sealant off - which is known for been super solid
And when its off - you've gotta be really careful of the Oil Pickup tube

Ziggy

would brake cleaner do the job for cleaning? or carb cleaner? i got both lying about? and will the hammerite hold, or just melt off or whatever?

Anything really - Fairy washing up liquid will do fine :)
Give it a Good clean - Rinse it Well

I'd cheat and let the Engine Heat Dry the sump
Then when cool - Sand - Treat - Paint

As for sanding - if there are really big Scab like Rust clumps - take Care - as sanding in general isn't advised - i just used a Wire Brush on a Drill - Spent 5 mins taking worst of the top layer - but after that Treated it with 3x Layers of rust Killer - the 3 layers of UHT Paint - 3rd layer been quiet thick

Ziggy

Back