Technical rusty cylinder ??

Currently reading:
Technical rusty cylinder ??

arc

this is where i stand
Got me an extension bar and got the head off the 1242 today. I know this engine hasnt run for around a year. When i got it, it was missing a plug in no3. Thought nowt of it.

Now, with the head off - looks like water has leaked into no3. Its all icky. And theres loads of **** in the bottom of it.

Wasn't expecting this, dunno what to do about it - can i clean it off - or does it need to be machined flat again?

few pics:

Attachments

• DSCF0143.JPG
    DSCF0143.JPG
    107.3 KB · Views: 81
  • DSCF0145.JPG
    DSCF0145.JPG
    104.6 KB · Views: 55
If you're going to turbocharge this engine, then you're better off fitting lower compression pistons. Just buy oversize ones and get the block rebored (or can't you get the pistons?)

buy a cylinder hone, and have a go yourself. they're only bout £30 i think, attach it to a drill and go for it, theres plenty of info on the net on exactly how to do it. if it's pitted once you've honed then you know it's screwed. as for the piston, get a new one, or an identical sized second hand one.

I've seen bike barrels that look a lot worse than that, and with a quick hone it comes off, don't write it off till you're sure. If in doubt, once honed, take it somewhere to get the bore measured, and then order a piston. not much more expense, but thats often how rebuilds go, it looks ok till you open it up. If thats the only problem you find consider yourself very lucky!!!!!!

Infact i would be more worried about how black the other cylinder is? did you compression test it before you stripped it? The head on the right looks a healthy colour, but the left looks like it's been filled with oil, and the piston looks very crusty.

Jon+Em

Last edited:
plan was get the head checked, skimmed, ported, and polished.

like i say, i wasnt expecting this. I was sold a working engine.

no4 does look bit oily, yeah. HG looks fine though. tbh, i didnt want to start taking the bottom end to bits. I was going to pull my 1108 to bits to learn about them once i'd got this engine fitted.

i'm taking it to machine shop tomorrow, see what they think. If its gonna cost a lot to clean up properly, i'll just be swapping the engine for my money back methinks.

take the barrels off before you take it, then they can see the whole cylinder not just the top (plus it's a poo-load lighter!). get no4 piston checked, if the head gasket was fine that usually means the rings are suspect. if they are you need to replce them.

Jon+Em

hmm crap, I forgot the barrels are cast into the top half of the engine block aren't they. For a machine shop to hone them, you will have to strip the bottom end I'm affraid. This is because the pistons take up a small amount of the cylinder and it needs to be honed equally all the way down.

Jon+Em

That looks very badly pitted :( perhaps you could get it bored out to remove the bad metal, but that would be expensive as you'd need bigger pistons too.

Personally, I'd get a refund sorted and buy another.

project-cinqy said:
or a quick rummage round a scrappy for a new barrel and the pistons to match?

Jon+Em

didnt we just deciede they were cast into the block?

few more photos

Attachments

• DSCF0149.JPG
    DSCF0149.JPG
    56.4 KB · Views: 23
  • DSCF0148.JPG
    DSCF0148.JPG
    118.7 KB · Views: 22
  • DSCF0147.JPG
    DSCF0147.JPG
    112.9 KB · Views: 22
  • DSCF0146.JPG