General Rusty axle

Currently reading:
General Rusty axle

Hi guys.
Just wondering on how you all would go about painting a rusty rear axle and front subframe.
I thought :
Wire brush it down to get rid of any loose rust,
Red oxide paint,
Hammerite as a top coat.

Just wondering if anyone had any better ideas?

TA!:slayer:

Hammerite is brittle and chips off. Ideally have it stove enamelled but that means taking it off the car - hardly ideal. Use any good quality polyurethane top coat.

The snag is rust will soon come back hence my first suggestion.

The cheap and dirty option is chain saw oil. Its the best metal preserver I have seen. Thin it with white spirit & spray it onto the cleaned DRY surfaces. When dry spray with black waxoyl underseal.

Last edited:
Hi mate :)

The other guy's advice is spot on (y)

My own preference is to use a marine grease (I'm guessing a normal "oily" grease will do just fine) and brush that stuff everywhere you can. Very good for your steel brake lines too. Probably best to keep it away from rubber bushes and of course the brakes :eek:

I've done the entire underside of my car with gallons of the stuff and sprayed oil/waxoyl/WD40 etc inside the chassis rails/sills you name it. WD40 inside the doors via the drain holes and in the strut tops/hinges/bonnet release etc.

I found that if you open the tail gate and have a poke around you can spray WD40 through where the aperture is for a boot light (I think thats what I used lol) and its runs down over the rear wheel arches inside (perfect, keeps water out, no rust) and along the sill, all the way to the front.

I know it sounds messy but once you've done this and driven a few miles (let it drain off for a good while first, bikes etc) it just ends up being a uniform dark looking coating that seems to look after the car very well underneath.

In my opinion its well worth spending half a day doing this against all the salt they have to put on our roads :(

Good luck with whatever you decide to try mate (y)

Back