General Rusty arches

Currently reading:
General Rusty arches

Soleil

Scrapage Scheme Reject.
Right, fuel tank has been replaced... Whilst the car was on axle stands, it was noticed that the rear arches are getting rusty.

I have been advised to get a wire brush and some hammerite.

Having been to halfords I now have 2 types which are No. 1 rust beater and anti rust primer.

My question is do I need anything else to keep it from getting worse?

I have my trusty haynes so wish me luck.... :D

Depends how rusted the bolts are that are holding the bumper on. If they have never been undone its going to be more hassle than its worth. Id give the bumper brackets a good coating too if they arent already past it. Usething like waxoyl hammerite mix from halfords. Large tin will last you forever.

Bumper bolts are knackered, they may need replacing anyways due to the head of one crumbling away as I lightly prodded it.

I also need to get myself a better jack and some axle stands. Oh well a job for another weekend. :(

Cheers for the advice Dan, will keep that in mind for when I get round to it.

dont put it off for to long. once rust starts in moves quickly... centos are galvanized very well hence why they are still in good shape. but once you get a chip/scratch in the galvanize rust goes right under it.

Amen to that. any bits i have seen under my cento that looks a little unprotected i have undersealed.

i have rusty arches, the from the outside (if you grab the arch as if you were picking the car up) you can feel that where the inner wheel arch and outer skin join it is totaly rusted to a long hole.

you can get to the inner rear arches/sils on the cinqs by taking the back pannels out thats next to the back seats.

my plan was simple, as its rusted and i cant really be bothered to weld it i was going to run some black silicone into the rusted gap and then totaly bitcho the whole back wheel arch. its not a structureal point so my guess is that it would not matter to much as its only a little bit.

also if you take these pannels out have a look down with a torch and see what your inner sills look like.
i can recommend you just paint a bit of old engine oil or chain lube in it, just for added protection. especially if you have a sun roof, as the drains in the sunroof drian right into the inner sill.. aided rotting from the inside.. clever design.. :doh::rolleyes:

i still need to do this, i have been putting it off and i know its only going to get worse :/

hope this helps

Last edited:
Well I currently have it on axle stands, looks worse than I thought it would. I am now thinking it may need some form of welding.

The driver side rear bumper bracket as corroded, to the extent where it is not attached, and the passenger side looks like it is heading that way.
I removed the plastic cover from the R/Quarter and when using a wire brush pulled away rather a lot of the corner.
I also managed to see up into the arches and they also do not look healthy.

I need to get it somewhere to get it to get some form of quote, as I have no idea on welding. Bugger.

I'm not sure if the gap is normal, and therefore is worrying me.
DSCF2178copy.jpg

The green gunk is some Hamerite product, for the good it may do!
DSCF2179copy.jpg

Under the fuel pipe it has come away, think the wheel arch muck guard is holding a lot in place.
DSCF2182copy.jpg

Last edited:
you will find more, take that cover off by the fuel filler pipe and you will have quite abit under there

i would say its above average for these

Ash

I don't want to find more, I should have lived in ignorance. I was happier that way.

Not a lot more I can do today, it's started raining. I may have another go later or tomorrow if it drys out a bit.

best to find it now mate and sort it, cos when its rust.. its only going to get worse.

the first picture what i would do there is peel some of the black paint back and see if the metal is really bad. if its not too bad peel all the loose paint off and slap some bitcho around it.

its a tactic i have done on my car. however some one has been there before and welded the inner parts (bits behind the wheel arch muck guard). so i blasted all the crap and muck off from the inner wheel arch let it dry for a day and totaly coated it with bitchumen, scrapeing back any old flakey under seal.

my advice to anyone with a cinq though, take off them damn " plastic wheel arch muck guard" things! All they do is collect all the crap and hold it right where you dont want it eating away at your sill ends. take them off and get them gone!

Soleil.. i really recommend you pull out the plastic pannels from where the back seat is.. that way you can see inside the sill and see how bad it is. (and if not too bad.. fill it with bitcho :LOL: .. just leave a hole for your sunroof water to drain through.)

if i remember ill take a few piccys of mine tomorow.. No laughing at the colour! insurance made me do it!

Unfortunately the weather stopped me from doing any more digging, I will be returning to it this weekend.
I will have a go removing the inside plastic panel ( is there any thing holding it in?)

I will also take the rear wheels off and have a good look from the outside.

I have hamarite stuff still so will try and get a good run at it.

Will report back when I know whats happening. :D

Cheers for all advice and help.

Once again,got the car on axle stands. removed the muck guard and driver side rear wheel.

Edge of the rear arch has crumbled and in a few places gone through so I have treated the area as best I can, taking the paint right down to get as much rust cleared.
Once treated fully, I will temp repair it with some fiberglass, but for now the weather has decided to destroy any further plans for now.
I have made a cover to keep it dry (ish) till I can put some Hamerite primer/anti rust stuff on it.

I do intend to get the inside of the arch done by removing the inner plastic cover. I think that will be done once this bit is done.Will work on one side at a time.

Wish me luck. :)

I only smile to hide the despair...

Back