Technical Rust in the rear arch (pics)

Currently reading:
Technical Rust in the rear arch (pics)

This thread has been a really useful insight. I bought my B to use as a 'modern classic' to take the load off my older classics over winter, thinking B's wouldn't suffer anywhere near as much rusting. Clearly this is the classic part of the modern classic!

Can you tell me how many miles your B has done?

This thread has been a really useful insight. I bought my B to use as a 'modern classic' to take the load off my older classics over winter, thinking B's wouldn't suffer anywhere near as much rusting. Clearly this is the classic part of the modern classic!

Can you tell me how many miles your B has done?

Glad you found it useful :)

This one has done 84,000 miles, I know for a fact they were all year round miles. Had they been summer only miles it may have looked quite different. But I think B’s are or at least were the kind of car that got used all year round, being as you say a ‘modern’ classic (with the emphasis on modern). They may be second cars for people now, but I don’t think they were when new. I try not to use my modern classics in winter, the trouble is my proper classics have all been in bits for years as I spend all my time re-building the modern classics instead!

Sorry these pics probably won’t really be of much use to anyone but they should finish this thread off nicely

Masking off for the stone chip coating:

IMG_2092.jpg

Then with new top coat:

IMG_2107.jpg

Cavity way dripping down, don’t want more rust back!

IMG_2106.jpg

Back on the ground at last:

IMG_2110.jpg

In the end the whole wing got a new coat of paint as some nice person had keyed it in the passed, so it’s looking quite good now, can’t wait to drive it, been off the road for five months!

I spoke to DTR again (as they are just round the corner from me & it’s a very nice place to pop into!) they said they usually charge about 8 hours labour per side to do this job, obviously depending on how bad it is, but it’s quite normal for B’s to go like this :(

Back