Running out of fuel on motorway ? law

Currently reading:
Running out of fuel on motorway ? law

so i was ging along today minding my own busnes see that the fuel gauge was on low so thought i would get to next services but nope ran out about 1/4 of a mile away so pulled into the coned of section (roadworks) of motorway went to nearest SOS phone but not wired in :eek: still had wrapper on it :p so thought could call police to inform them but what would i say :confused: so just pushed it as far to the left as posable and left hazards on and the triangle and locked it up and did the walk of shame on grass above the barrier didn't take long to buy petrol can and so on :eek:

so the main bit of confusion that im having is that is it an offense to run out of petrol on the motorway ?

oh and the best part is i was carrying a replacement fuel tank :( irony!

ahh thanks i heard Clarkson saying it once but typed it into google an no credible responses on other forums (y)

oh and as for triangle never knew that thanks for info wont do it again. lets just say i was in a seicento so on mine when it says its empty it is lol.
oh and i was deliberately running it kinda low to fit the replacement tank not trying to be cheap haha

ahh thanks i heard Clarkson saying it once but typed it into google an no credible responses on other forums (y)

oh and as for triangle never knew that thanks for info wont do it again. lets just say i was in a seicento so on mine when it says its empty it is lol.
oh and i was deliberately running it kinda low to fit the replacement tank not trying to be cheap haha

Haha! The problem with the triangle is that you've got to walk on the hard shoulder to put it out, and you risk bring hit by someone concentrating on you and not their driving.

Always get out of the car and behind the barrier with your safety as number one. :)

Dom

What offence is it? Apart from being a little bit stupid! (Sorry OP!)

Because it was done with "intent" IIRC, if it was pure accident (Example the needle got stuck) then that's fine.
But as he was purposely keeping it low/ very low to empty it's his own fault and not the cars.

Dom

Because it was done with "intent" IIRC, if it was pure accident (Example the needle got stuck) then that's fine.
But as he was purposely keeping it low/ very low to empty it's his own fault and not the cars.

Dom

I can't find anything online about what offence it will be. Lots about Clarkson saying it was an offence, and people saying it is in Germany and NZ though.

I'm sure no one intends to run out of fuel anyway.

I've got a traffic book somewhere in my room, will have a read when I find it, or ask someone next time I'm in the station (and hope I don't get laughed at too much :LOL:!)

I can't find anything online about what offence it will be. Lots about Clarkson saying it was an offence, and people saying it is in Germany and NZ though.

I'm sure no one intends to run out of fuel anyway.

I've got a traffic book somewhere in my room, will have a read when I find it, or ask someone next time I'm in the station (and hope I don't get laughed at too much :LOL:!)

Haha nice one. :D

I would imagine it could come under careless driving (Forgetting/not filling up)

Dom

It's not an offence in the UK. In fact "running out of fuel" is mentioned in the Motorway Regulations as one of the reasons you can stop on the hard shoulder of a motorway.

It's an offence on the autobahns in Germany I believe.

Back