::RUMOUR:: Tesco Fuel

Currently reading:
::RUMOUR:: Tesco Fuel

Apparently tesco fuel has the ol' silica issues again got a Heads up off of my bro at 6pm... its un confirmed at the moment but thought i should let you guys know... remember to get your receipts ;)

Apparently tesco fuel has the ol' silica issues again got a Heads up off of my bro at 6pm... its un confirmed at the moment but thought i should let you guys know... remember to get your receipts ;)

Whats that?
I literally just filled up £20 at tesco less than an hour ago :bang:

Whats that?
I literally just filled up £20 at tesco less than an hour ago :bang:

a select few tesco stores last year had bad fuel doses with high levels of silica (mineral) in them. it bunged up Lambda sensors left right and centre the only remedy was flush the fuel and fit new Lamdas :(

it happened when the exhaust got upto temperature the silica deposists melted around the lamdas and blocked them up with a glass/sandy substance... dont panic too much just yet as i said its UNCONFIRMED atm

Last edited:
a select few tesco stores last year had bad fuel doses with high levels of silica (mineral) in them. it bunged up Lambda sensors left right and centre the only remedy was flush the fuel and fit new Lamdas :(

it happened when the exhaust got upto temperature the silica deposists melted around the lamdas and blocked them up with a glass/sandy substance... dont panic too much just yet as i said its UNCONFIRMED atm

Ah thats not as bad as i thought then, thought you were gonna say that is breaks engines or something then :p

Is this a kinda 'brothers sisters uncles pet dog' kinda thing?

Hopefully its true, and I'll have a quiet few days if people are avoiding us.

email from my bro

richydrapers brother said:
forums have started claiming tesco is having fuel issues again, bad running etc.
not confirmed, but thought you'd just like a heads up.

similar symptoms to a few years ago; bad running and lambda values all messed up.

hes a man of few words...

make of it what you will... ive got a full tank so i dont give two 'mr whippys' thought id spread the word... IF it is true and saves somebody parts and labour costs then the forum has done its job... IF its false then this thread will disappear into the depths of the forum.

No mention of where or how widespread... Its possible that You could block a cat aswell as lambdas as the silica deposits build up but i think the lambdas would block up and the engine wouldnt run Well before cat damage occurs

A thought occurs...
Would this just be another pathetic attempt at forcing fuel companies to reduce their prices?
A few weeks ago I had an email about boycotting all supermarket forecourts in an attempt to force them to reduce prices - so inducing a price war...
Start a bit of scaremongering & hope that enough people stay clear of tesco?

Alternatively, some numpty chucked 2 gallons of diesel into their petrol- engined shed, realised what they'd done so topped it off with petrol & is now whingeing because their car is chugging, And "I have the reciept from tesco showing my last fill of 6 gallons of unleaded"?

Over 100 years ago John Ruskin said:

"What is the cheapest to you now is likely to be the dearest to you in the end"

I agree with him and probably that's why my '98 Sei has got 132k on the clock and has very few problems.

Back