Technical Rubbing 17" alloys?

Currently reading:
Technical Rubbing 17" alloys?

hi people,

wandering if anyone with 17" alloys is having problems with rubbing on rear?

the tyres are 205/40/17s (y)

its lowered 50mm (y)

(it only rubs when people in the back but only has to be one person?!?(n)

have rolled rear bumper and arches still making noise? its especially bad when i hit pot hole in road or have to go over speed bumps?

any help would be appreciated please?

They are sitting too far in the arches most likely so rolling arches will have no effect as this is not where they are catching. If it is the outside arches they are catching then not much you can do really. What offset are the wheels? Oh and you could try moving down to a 195/40 tyre as this will improve clearance a bit.

As Matt says, the ET needs to be known. Spacers will solve the issue if you've trimmed the rear bumper already.

i have the same problem with 15"s - i have 195/50/15 et 25 ... they rub when i go over bumps even with no one in the back... any ideas?

Needs new springs, has it been lowered? Should be OK on 15's as long as they not daft wide.

they are only 6.5j (inch) wide, and there was nothing worng with the springs when i had the old alloys on,

Again should be fine if they are the right wheels for the car, offset may be wrong? Odd that, are they rubbing the arch, the damper or the wheel-arch liner?

hey guys
new to the forum, currently got 15" alloys on my punto and looking for a bigger rim (17") but just read this about rubbing. mine hasnt been lowerd and is standard i want to know will these fit [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Item Specifics - Car Wheels[/FONT]
Used

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, Sans-Serif]Rim Information[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, Sans-Serif]Tyre Information[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, Sans-Serif]Metal Type: [/FONT]Aluminium

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, Sans-Serif]Tyre Type: [/FONT]All-Weather

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, Sans-Serif]Rim Width: [/FONT]--

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, Sans-Serif]Tyre Width: [/FONT]205

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, Sans-Serif]Rim Diameter: [/FONT]17 inches

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, Sans-Serif]Aspect Ratio: [/FONT]40

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, Sans-Serif]Offset: [/FONT]--

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, Sans-Serif]Load Index: [/FONT]84

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, Sans-Serif]Number of Studs: [/FONT]--

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, Sans-Serif]Speed Rating: [/FONT]W: max 168 mph

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, Sans-Serif]Stud Diameter: [/FONT]--

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, Sans-Serif]Tyre Manufacturer: [/FONT]--

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, Sans-Serif]Rim Manufacturer: [/FONT]--

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, Sans-Serif]Rim Structure: [/FONT]--

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, Sans-Serif]Manufacturer Part Number: [/FONT]--

many thanks dom

hey guys
new to the forum, currently got 15" alloys on my punto and looking for a bigger rim (17") but just read this about rubbing. mine hasnt been lowerd and is standard i want to know will these fit
many thanks dom

Not enough info.

You need to know the ET, the PCD and tyre size.

i have the same problem with 15"s - i have 195/50/15 et 25 ... they rub when i go over bumps even with no one in the back... any ideas?

ET25 is too low to be honest, it shouldn't be catching anywhere on the inner arch it will more than likely be catching on the bumper lip and/or the arch lip. ET35 is what you want in most situations, as it stands your wheel is sitting 10mm further out towards the arch lip than it should, hence the rubbing.

Back