Technical Rubber on the gearbox - MK1

Currently reading:
Technical Rubber on the gearbox - MK1

chesh

Established member
I have a little problem, in neutral when I put my leg on the clutch but not pressing it I hear a little noise. somthing like grrr

I've looked in my engine bay and found this rubber a bit torn and lossy

b4filrgbmkkgrhqqoknue5t.jpg

I can move it up and down. when I play with it, I hear the same noise like when I just fit my leg on the clutch

what is this rubber stand for? is it ok to drive like that?

Last edited:
Can't see properly in the pic and cba going outside just yet but is that not part of one of the selectors? Either way it's just a gaiter to protect whatever it's covering from dirt etc

another picture of it:

davepictt7.jpg

looks like the cluch cable goes to it? I don't know why but when I move this rubber, the gear makes little noise

The gaiter in the picture is just to keep damp and dirt off the selector. Light pressure causing a whirr or grumble sounds like the clutch release bearing on the way out. They go from this stage to failing and chewing through the cover very quickly. Put a new clutch in asap

Nahh, it's fine to drive like that :p
Mines been like that for a year now, no real issues - mind you mins done black now and the rubber bit further down the gearbox has now come off. Started having an issue with gear's recently - just under a year after the noise you discribe. (y)

Hope this helps

Back