Roundabout (aka island if you live in silly land)

Currently reading:
Roundabout (aka island if you live in silly land)

A or B?

• Total voters
Re: Roundabout

Ah but x is slightly past 12 o'clock, I think, so maybe you should use B.

you use the 12 o'clock rule as it is shown on the sign post not as it is on the road as you may not be aware of where it is on the road until you get there

so i'm saying a for now but really whould need a picture of the sign too

you use the 12 o'clock rule as it is shown on the sign post not as it is on the road as you may not be aware of where it is on the road until you get there

so i'm saying a for now but really whould need a picture of the sign too

I'll see if there is a sign next time I'm there.

For now though.. another roundabout. This one I really, really hate.

flyover.JPG

Last edited:

There is someone at A though taking the same turnoff. Is B still your choice?

depends on the car thats in A, i know the person in a has right of way thats why i go fast and get in front or back off. yeah B would probably be the choice as 90% of people move off like snails.

on my test i went straight in "B", after the test the guy said, "the way you did it was safe so i cant fail you, but just be careful, check your mirrors"

Last edited:

what about if 9 o'clock is no entry, 12 o'clock is a dirt track, and there another 2 exits at 2 o'clock and 4 o'clock?
Probably easiest to use the roundabout at 7 o'clock then - that way it's easier and you miss the traffic too. :p

Either A or B (unless signage indicates otherwise) depending upon the traffic in each lane, as it's straight on.

but that would mean you'd use A even if going all the way round and back the way you came

I can't see how you read that into my post, the left lane clearly goes straight on or turns left, to go right around & back the way you came is most definately lane B

the absense of lane markings on the approach to the roundabout means you can begin in either lane for all except the first exit, however if you were on the inside lane (started from B) it is your responsiblity to move to the outside lane safely and in good time to exit. since the exit is a single carriageway you can not exit from the inside lane, you must move to the outside lane before you exit. the latest time to begin changing lanes is immediately after the previous exit, in this case the first exit of you want to leave at the second exit. was my driving instructor the only one who bothered to mention this rule?

the correct option is not provided in the poll, its a trick poll!

Last edited:
never heard of the 12'o clock rule, and I only passed my test 3 years ago lol, I'd have been in Lane A, unless there was loads of traffic I'd have gone into B and given the car a good flooring to get in front of everyone else lol =/

the absense of lane markings on the approach to the roundabout means you can begin in either lane for all except the first exit, however if you were on the inside lane (started from B) it is your responsiblity to move to the outside lane safely and in good time to exit. since the exit is a single carriageway you can not exit from the inside lane, you must move to the outside lane before you exit. the latest time to begin changing lanes is immediately after the previous exit, in this case the first exit of you want to leave at the second exit. was my driving instructor the only one who bothered to mention this rule?

the correct option is not provided in the poll, its a trick poll!

Since the van was alongside me as I turned off the roundabout then I'm guessing he hadn't moved into the outside lane immediatly after the first exit. So he got a good cutting up.

never heard of the 12'o clock rule, and I only passed my test 3 years ago lol, I'd have been in Lane A, unless there was loads of traffic I'd have gone into B and given the car a good flooring to get in front of everyone else lol =/

I was the only traffic there :confused: Pretty much we've agreed on is that yes you can use B... but it's upto you to get into the other lane. Cars already in lane A have priority. I should have stopped and questioned his mothers morals.

I don't know if I am misunderstanding the terminology but if using B, you don't have to move over but you must exit on the same lane at X, that's why there are two exit lanes!

To get to X would you start from A or B?

View attachment 32101

Lets say a vehicle came onto the roundabout from the entrance to X surely that vehicle would be on the inside lane right until it was time to exit SO what exactly is the problem with the lane he was using? surely the ONLY problem is with the manner he attempted to exit??

I don't know if I am misunderstanding the terminology but if using B, you don't have to move over but you must exit on the same lane at X, that's why there are two exit lanes!

I just looked at the picture to see if there were two exit lanes, I see only one, which is a bit daft so therfore, van man could just leave in the lane which looked right to him.

there is only 1 exit lane :confused:
that is why you must exit on the outside lane only.
which is why you must get in the correct lane before the exit.

Lets say a vehicle came onto the roundabout from the entrance to X surely that vehicle would be on the inside lane right until it was time to exit
no, you change lanes before, at the latest you must do it immediatley after the previous exit, if you cant do that safely (due to traffic) you have to go around again. failure to do that would be a fail on a driving test.

there is only 1 exit lane :confused:
that is why you must exit on the outside lane only.
which is why you must get in the correct lane before the exit.

I don't know which roundabout we are on now then :eek: I was still pointing out to the first one. Usually if one exit lane on the 2nd exit, markings warn you that the right lane is for right turn only and left lane for straight on and left. Otherwise as you say, when you get there, you either have to safely filter across or go back around.

no, you change lanes before, at the latest you must do it immediatley after the previous exit, if you cant do that safely (due to traffic) you have to go around again. failure to do that would be a fail on a driving test.

Thats what I meant which I why it added it must have been the manner in which he exited as there is no problem with using the inside lane.

I don't know which roundabout we are on now then :eek: I was still pointing out to the first one. Usually if one exit lane on the 2nd exit, markings warn you that the right lane is for right turn only and left lane for straight on and left. Otherwise as you say, when you get there, you either have to safely filter across or go back around.

Unless my colour display is not displaying, I see only one exit lane on the 1st roundabout, it looks wide enough for two but it does not appear to be marked.

Back