Roundabout (aka island if you live in silly land)

Currently reading:
Roundabout (aka island if you live in silly land)

A or B?

• Total voters
To get to X would you start from A or B?

bout.JPG

Re: Roundabout

Looks like A to me - presume there is a road sign before roundabout, but looks like A leads you onto a filter lane that takes you straight into X - B doesn't.

A or B assuming nothing stating otherwise on the way in and person in B exits on the outer lane of X and doesn't cut across - that's the way it is taught.

A. In this case, you would stay in the left hand lane as there is only 2 lanes and you are taking the second exit. If you were to take the 3rd you would use the right lane.

:yeahthat:

Unless the lanes are marked/ signposted otherwise, on a two lane entrance to a roundabout you use the left lane to take the 1st and 2nd exits and only use right hand land to to take the 3rd (or more) exit.

In the case above you would use 'A' to get to 'X'.

Edit: I was taught roundabout discipline in 1986 :eek:

Last edited:

Unless the lanes are marked/ signposted otherwise, on a two lane entrance to a roundabout you use the left lane to take the 1st and 2nd exits and only use right hand land to to take the 3rd (or more) exit.

Lane 1 or 2 can be used to exit on lane 3 assuming there are two exit lanes - if there are 2 in but only 1 out, usually it is market right turn only. This is how it is taught, it doesn't work on every single roundabout of course, but it's perfectly legitimate to use lane 2 for 2nd exit (of 3) in such a case; especially if lane 1 is backed up and lane 2 isn't. It does depend on the roundabout in question however.

Basically some goon in a white van tried to speed around me. I was leaving from A, him from B and he found that I didn't let him drive around me at X. He beeped and tailgated so I drove up the road at 25mph.. then 24.. 23.. 20.. 17..

some roundabouts have the 2nd exit right round to nearly where you entered, so you'd use the offside lane.

Well if he cut across to lane 1 at X, he is in the wrong, if he left in lane 2 at X then he wasn't in the wrong. It is necessary to maintain lane discipline to use lane 2 on entrance and lane 2 on exit - but it is a perfectly legimate method to use and is taught for the driving test.

Basically some goon in a white van tried to speed around me. I was leaving from A, him from B and he found that I didn't let him drive around me at X. He beeped and tailgated so I drove up the road at 25mph.. then 24.. 23.. 20.. 17..

he was just being a tw*t. On that roundabout you could use either lane, he should've given way to you.

If in doubt consult your highway code. Section 162 :
Signals and position, unless signs or markings indicate otherwise.

When taking first exit:
* signal left and approach in the left hand lane
* keep to the left on the roundabout and continue signalling left to leave.

When taking an intermediate exit:
* select the appropriate lane on approach to and on the roundabout, signalling as necessary.
* stay in this lane until you need to alter course to exit the roundabout.
* signal left after you have passed the exit before the one you want.

When taking the last exit or going full circle:
* signal right and approach in the right hand lane
* keep to the right on the roundabout until you need to change lanes to exit the roundabout
* signal left after you have passed the exit before the one you want.

When there are more than three lanes at the entrance to a roundabout, use the most appropriate lane on approach and through it.

Personally I would approach in the left lane and stay there until the second exit.

Couple more.. Never realised roundabouts looked so nice from above.

One near me - aproaching from 6 o'clock left lane for left only and right for all others. Massive sign posts and markings on road but still have people trying to go straight on in left lane. Quite a compact roundabout with a bridge and some modern art on it. (y)

bout2.JPG

One near Darlington. Again from 6 o'clock, but this time both lanes can go right. Big queue in right hand lane so left is always empty :D

bout3.JPG

I Voted B, but seeing as I do not know every round about in England, my general rule is;

If I'm turning left use left.
If I'm turning right use right.

If I'm going straight use Right. (I do this because often when going round the roundabout if you intend to go straight on a three exit round from the left lane, people will assume you are turning left and pull out ahead of you EVEN if you are indicating right however if you were in the right lane there would not be this confusion to other road users.)

If its a Three laner then it really depends on the amount of Exits. For those of you who have used Hanger Lane Roundabout its a battle from the beginning to the end. Just always look over your sholder before you move anywhere.

Attachments

• hanger.jpg
    hanger.jpg
    340.8 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:

Couple more.. Never realised roundabouts looked so nice from above.

One near me - aproaching from 6 o'clock left lane for left only and right for all others. Massive sign posts and markings on road but still have people trying to go straight on in left lane. Quite a compact roundabout with a bridge and some modern art on it. (y)

View attachment 32104

One near Darlington. Again from 6 o'clock, but this time both lanes can go right. Big queue in right hand lane so left is always empty :D

View attachment 32105

On the first one the council have marked it out wrong.
On the second one I would use the left lane to turn right if it's empty. This was probably done because it's the main route taken by most traffic.

Back