Technical Roof bars

Currently reading:
Technical Roof bars

rolo

I'm looking to transport 3 kayaks on my multi and need to buy some roof bars.Searching various retailers on the web you can get them for as little as 60 quid,does anyone have one of these cheapo's?Are they any good or should I pay more? Any recommendations appreciated.
Cheers Rolo.

Hi there. I have a set of cheap roof bars that use the Fiat fitting points on my 2002 JTD. They take about ten minutes to fit once you've done it a couple of times and they cost me £43.00 including postage, June last year.

They are pretty good, and better than the Thule model because they use the Fiat fitting points on the roof and don't tuck under the doors. Can't find my photos of them but have got them in a photo file on the Yahoo multipla group.

Mine are from http://toys4cars.co.uk/ go to 'roof bars' on the drop down menu on the left, then the 'fiat' box and then page through to Multipla.

However, I have just looked and they don't appear to have my model of bar anymore, although frankly the ones there look better although more pricey.

If you want to go to http://uk.groups.yahoo.com/group/multiplaowners/ join the group and got to photos and 'toysforcars roofbars' photobox, you'll see mine.

Hope this helps!

Thanks for that Pandabloke,
My main concern was how robust/secure the cheaper bars might be,although the kayaks are not heavy there would be a lot of wind resistance and I wouldnt want car and 3 kayaks to part company cos the roof bars werent up to it!
Years ago I had an old fiesta with the roof rack that clamped to the gutters.Spent ages tying a fence panel to the rack only for the entire roofrack c/w fence panel to go awol on the way home.....resulted in a lifetime roof rack phobia!!!

I see. Yep well mine actually bolt through the original mountings so they ain't coming off! Held on with an allen key bolt through a T-piece through the mountain. Hope this helps.

Sound like mine Pandabloke, yes they are very stong, but I do find my front bar has a very load whistle when traveling over 30mph. To solve this I have taken the bars off and left the posts, it also helps with MPG as well.

Yes, mine whistle too, but not excessively. Someone elsewhere said that if you put pipe lagging round them, the silver grey coloured stuff you get in 3 metre lengths from B&Q etc, it's protects the bars and stops 'em whistling. Good idea if you use 'em regularly.

I have become so adept at taking them on and off, about 10mins max, that I leave them off and bung them on when I need them. But leaving the posts in place is a good plan.

I know the above is an old post but thought i'd add my bit incase it helps someone else.
Bought some non-Fiat roof bars for my Multi from Ebay.
The company is based in Redditch and they also make there own carpets for many cars including the Multipla in Various colours.
Company Name:- Needed4, 27 Hemming Road, Redditch, B98, 0DH, 08456800693
The bars were £49.80 and I avoided the £8 delivery charge by collecting myself.

The carpets they sell come in a few different colours and are £27.
https://www.fiatforum.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=50174

Back