Technical Rocker Shaft Shim washer - Location

Currently reading:
Technical Rocker Shaft Shim washer - Location

Plok

Hello

I am currently repairing my cinq 900 - and noticed that the rocker shaft was clogged and was not distributing the oil as it was meant to.
After disassembling the shaft and cleaning it, i noticed an odd number of shims (as i understand they are spacers - DIN 988), and i kinda failed to take a picture beforehand.
the washers are 2 of 20x15x2 and 2 of 20x15x1 all in mm (outside D- inside D- height), but i am unsure if i need more and/or where to place them.
The rocker shaft assembly was put it used back when i bought the car and it was apparently a hot mess with overtightened rocker arms - but that is for another day.

I tried searching and asking around - but i could not find a straight answer.

the only thing i can find is from pics that there is a spacer (think 2mm thick) between the 5th rocker arm and the oil feed (counting from the left)
And assuming it was not disassembled before - the other spacers are placed on the outer edges betwwen the rocker arms and the screws. but that is just a guess.

Or maybe the 2 thicker ones are in the middle (between screws and rocker arms) to compress the spring more, and the 2 smaller ones on the outer edges,

please help I'm going crazy
321.JPG

pic is taken from https://www.fiatforum.com/threads/cleaning-hydraulic-tappets.188041/

Last edited:
Hello

I am currently repairing my cinq 900 - and noticed that the rocker shaft was clogged and was not distributing the oil as it was meant to.
After disassembling the shaft and cleaning it, i noticed an odd number of shims (as i understand they are spacers - DIN 988), and i kinda failed to take a picture beforehand.
the washers are 2 of 20x15x2 and 2 of 20x15x1 all in mm (outside D- inside D- height), but i am unsure if i need more and/or where to place them.
The rocker shaft assembly was put it used back when i bought the car and it was apparently a hot mess with overtightened rocker arms - but that is for another day.

I tried searching and asking around - but i could not find a straight answer.

the only thing i can find is from pics that there is a spacer (think 2mm thick) between the 5th rocker arm and the oil feed (counting from the left)
And assuming it was not disassembled before - the other spacers are placed on the outer edges betwwen the rocker arms and the screws. but that is just a guess.

Or maybe the 2 thicker ones are in the middle (between screws and rocker arms) to compress the spring more, and the 2 smaller ones on the outer edges,

please help I'm going crazy
View attachment 416383

pic is taken from https://www.fiatforum.com/threads/cleaning-hydraulic-tappets.188041/
May sound daft, but unless you have cleaned the parts within an inch of their life ;), you may be able to see by the marks on the rocker posts whether a washer of a certain size or a smaller diameter spring has been rubbing against the post, also when all correctly fitted the rocker arms should sit correctly above each valve, if meant to be slightly offset as some manufacturers do to cause a gentle rotation to even wear, then a look at the underside of each rocker should be a clue.

Back