Technical "Ringing" noise coming from the injector pump

Currently reading:
Technical "Ringing" noise coming from the injector pump

Hi,

I've got a "ringing" noise coming from the injector pump of my 2006 1.9 Multijet. 73000.
The noise is audible when the bonnet is down but louder when it's up.
I'm pretty certain it's coming from the injector pump as I've listened to it with a mechanic's stethoscope.
It's been there for sometime, there's probably something that needs fixing and it is irritating to listen to!

Attached is a short sound recording I made, placing the microphone near the pump and moving it to the front of the engine and then back again.

Has anyone got any ideas/suggestion/diagnosis etc. This would be much appreciated

Cheers

Ron

Thanks, I'll try that one out tomorrow.

Any other ideas?

Cheers

Ron

Hi,

Touching the injector pipes doesn't alter the sound whether the engine is cool of warm.

After a bit more listening with the stethoscope the sound is loudest when the prod is touching the pressure regulator which is located on the inner side of the injector pump.

Is it normal to get this kind of sound here?
Is it something to investigate further, see if it develops or is it ok and to forget about?

Cheers

Ron

Listened to your recording and if it was mine I would keep a ear on it but
let it develop but are you sure it's the pump and not the idler on the cam
belt, at 70 K it must be around change time if it's not been done.

Hi,

Thanks,

Definitely a lot louder on the pressure regulator (with the help of the stethoscope).

The timing belt, water pump, idler, auxiliary belt and tensioners were all replaced about 3000 miles ago, so they should be ok.

Unless anything else comes to mind I think keeping an ear on it is sound advice. Plus, leave the stethoscope in the toolbox as everything it touches needs fixing!!

Cheers

Ron

Hi,

A year on and the sound is still there and a bit louder!

Listening with the stethoscope it seems to be coming from the diesel pressure regulator.

I've tried to test it with the "actuator" function in MES and got a "failed to connect" error.

Any ideas?

Many thanks

Ron

Hi,

Replaced the pressure regulator....noise still there.

Could this noise be due to air getting in to the pump somehow?

Any ideas?

Cheers

Ron

Never heard one make a noise due to air, do you have a proper diesel engineer near you that may have a quick listen it’s always better hearing it in the flesh so to speak

Back