Technical RH rear light and number plate light stopped working

Currently reading:
Technical RH rear light and number plate light stopped working

Noah500

1971 Fiat 500L LHD
Yesterday I changed the rear light lenses because the orange indicator parts, in particular, were quite faded. I also replaced the number plate light with a new chromed one. After putting everything back, I found that the number plate light and the right hand rear light were no longer working. I've checked obvious things - fuse, connectors on the back of the lamps, earth wire on the lamp cluster connected, bulb OK - and all seems to be OK.

Any ideas on possible culprit? The front left side light which, according to my wiring diagram is on the same circuit, is working so my guess is a break or disconnected connector somewhat but some clues would be helpful!

Thanks in advance

Simon

Yesterday I changed the rear light lenses because the orange indicator parts, in particular, were quite faded. I also replaced the number plate light with a new chromed one. After putting everything back, I found that the number plate light and the right hand rear light were no longer working. I've checked obvious things - fuse, connectors on the back of the lamps, earth wire on the lamp cluster connected, bulb OK - and all seems to be OK.

Any ideas on possible culprit? The front left side light which, according to my wiring diagram is on the same circuit, is working so my guess is a break or disconnected connector somewhat but some clues would be helpful!

Thanks in advance

Simon

Hi Simon, The main culprit here is a faulty earth return - check and clean all earthing points involved. Physically check your cable feed for power with a multi meter, if you have original wiring you could have a break. Check the wiring in sequence from the last known point where there is power.
Ian.

Double checked all connections, fuses, earth, etc. and it's still not working - no power to the black/yellow feed which should be supplying current. The linked front left sidelight works fine, fuses fine and the other lamps in that cluster (indicator, stop lamp) work OK, so I don't think earth is the problem. Probably a break in the black/yellow wire somewhere on its route from front to back but I haven't been able to isolate it so far :(

Turn em on, and follow the wire along with your hand carefully feeling the entire length. With luck any breaks will show up as a hot /warm spot. It worked for me a while back and the break I had in a straight run of wire that I would never have expected to break, was warm enabling a cut and shut fix with the soldering iron. Hope you find it quickly.

Well, I fixed it... I undid the side carpet trim and checked along what I could see of the wire, then went into the fuse area. I've had the fuse box in and out a few times recently, to add an extra fused supply for USB, etc. and I followed the yellow/black wire back from there. Very close by is a multi connector so I jiggled it and re-seated it and hey presto, lights working! The connector didn't seem particularly loose but fingers crossed it's sorted, for now anyway :)

Well, I fixed it... I undid the side carpet trim and checked along what I could see of the wire, then went into the fuse area. I've had the fuse box in and out a few times recently, to add an extra fused supply for USB, etc. and I followed the yellow/black wire back from there. Very close by is a multi connector so I jiggled it and re-seated it and hey presto, lights working! The connector didn't seem particularly loose but fingers crossed it's sorted, for now anyway :)
Hi I’m having the exact same issue with mine now all the lights work but the drivers side (LHD) rear light and rear number plate light, all lights work for braking etc.
Where was the part exactly that you jiggled to fix it please.
Cheers

Hi I’m having the exact same issue with mine now all the lights work but the drivers side (LHD) rear light and rear number plate light, all lights work for braking etc.
Where was the part exactly that you jiggled to fix it please.
Cheers
Hi - I can't remember exactly as it was a while ago but I think it was the white connector right next to the fuse box

Attachments

• 20230520_074655.jpg
    20230520_074655.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 25
Back