Technical reverse lights not working

Currently reading:
Technical reverse lights not working

kaiser64

I have just bought a 60 sx and the reverse lights are not working. i have tested all the bulbs and checked the fuses, but they all check out. Any ideas how i could fix the problem before i go to a mechanic?

welcome to the forum

Im not sure about the mk1 but on the mk2 there is a reverse switch in the front of the gearbox, sometimes can get a bad connection or just needs replacing they are not very expensive and very easy to fit

On the mk2 if you look at the front of the gear box on the right side you should see a gold large hex bolt screwed into the gear box with a cable connected to the back.

It is shown on here https://www.fiatforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=34728&d=1194891679

Check the cable connection first and if that doesn't work unscrew it and screw a new one in

Im sure someone else can tell you if this is the same for the mk1

Last edited:
i Have a Mk1 punto and the reverse lights went, bulb & fuse both good.
The fault i had was with the lighting unit itself. IF you takes these off (Mk1) - two bolt holding each one on
(Mk1) - Single eletrical plug
(Mk1) - inside held in place with 2 mabey 3 cross head screws

then move the bulbs slightly, reconect the plug without the outer casing and try, with ingition on but without engine running, putting the car into reverse, if they still dont light up, leave the car's ingotion on and try moving the bulbs around again, if they light up:

force the Metal back plate where the bulbs rest into the postion where the bulbs light up, i used a pair on plyers for this with the bulbs still lit so you know if you lose the connection.

If they still dont light up, clean the metal parts with vinigar (How ever you spell it, the stuff people often put on chips - not salt!)

dry them, refit and repeat the above to aline the bulbs.

If after doing this the buld still won't light up then do about replaceing the reverse switch(y)

When i took my lights off i found that water had gotten inside and partly corroded the metal work in the lights, the vinigar got rid of this(y)

I have just bought a 60 sx and the reverse lights are not working. i have tested all the bulbs and checked the fuses, but they all check out. Any ideas how i could fix the problem before i go to a mechanic?

Below the steering wheel located on the right should a little compartment to put a phone or wallet etc.. in. This should come off and there you will find the fuses. Hopefully you should have your owners handbook with you which will tell you the exact fuse to replace.
You may have spare fuses, if not just take the old one out and go to a local motor shop. This solved my problem as i failed my MOT on this.

Hope this helps.

Back