Technical Reverse gear crunches

Currently reading:
Technical Reverse gear crunches

Moonwilles

When I put it in reverse, I sometimes hear crunching noises. The sound is pretty distinct and I'm sure it's coming from the gearbox, but it does not sound like grinding at all, it's more as if it just cannot go into the reverse gear. Other gears work fine, and the sound is not heard if I double-clutch. Is this something I should worry about?
Thanks.

Could be the clutch cable or the reverse selector linkage. Clutch cable should be about £10 and ten minutes. :)

Could be the clutch cable or the reverse selector linkage. Clutch cable should be about £10 and ten minutes. :)

Thanks for the reply. I initially thought it was the clutch cable, but then again, wouldn't other gears also crunch if so?

How much does the selector linkage cost?

A friend who owns a Punto has told me that his car is suffering from the same problem. Is this common or what? :confused:

I had this before it was a worn gearbox mount

Will this be expensive? Can you please explain how would a gearbox mount affect gearbox performance? Sorry, I know little about cars. :p

Damn, gearboxes are kinda finicky...

Try a small adjustment on the cable.

The normal gears have syncromesh, reverse doesn't.

Do you have a wet or dry box?

D

Thanks for the replies.

I've talked to a local mechanic and was told to check the cable first, since it requires the least work and could actually fix the problem.
What exactly do you mean by "wet" or "dry" box?

Thanks for the replies.

I've talked to a local mechanic and was told to check the cable first, since it requires the least work and could actually fix the problem.
What exactly do you mean by "wet" or "dry" box?

There are 2 different gearboxes fitted to these cars. Some have the inner driveshaft joints lubricated by the gearbox oil. On these the inner boot does not turn with the driveshaft, there is a bearing in the outer end of the boot. These are 'wet' boxes.

With a dry box the driveshafts go into cups mounted into the gearbox. The shafts and cups both turn as does the boot.

D

There are 2 different gearboxes fitted to these cars. Some have the inner driveshaft joints lubricated by the gearbox oil. On these the inner boot does not turn with the driveshaft, there is a bearing in the outer end of the boot. These are 'wet' boxes.

With a dry box the driveshafts go into cups mounted into the gearbox. The shafts and cups both turn as does the boot.

D

Thanks for your explanation, but I have no idea which one I have.
Anyways, it's been fixed now. It was indeed the clutch cable.

Thanks to all of you for the help.

Back