Technical Resetting the ECU on my Chinq

Currently reading:
Technical Resetting the ECU on my Chinq

northernmonkey

Hi All,
Just bought a 1996 Chinky sporting, drove it 200 miles and it managed to use £50 worth of fuel (a tank and a half) shouldn't be a leak as i've just had the tank replaced and there is no smell of fuel or visible leak when parked. I think it might be the auto choke stuck on or something, does anyone know what might be causing this? was thinking the first thing to try would be resetting the ECU, how do i go about this? there seems to be fairly differing opinions on hoe to do it.
Thanks all :D

The best way to reset the ecu is to remove the positive terminal from off the battery and leave it off for a minimum of an hour i have found, but if your cinq is using this much fuel i would suggest checking things such as idle control valve, mass air flow sensor and lambda sensor as they could all contribute to over fuelling.......

let us know how you get on (y)

..and then leave it after startup till the fan has kicked in at least 3 times without the engine stalling.

And, Id still recommend taking it on 200-300miles driving over all engine speeds to allow it to 're-learn' the settings

Excessive fuel consumption, i would put down to either the lambda sensor being dead or the temperature sensor, if it never reads anything other than cold it keeps chucking fuel in at a greater rate.

Cheers guys very helpful, i think it might be the temperature sensor, takes ages for the temp guage to show anything then it barely goes over 50 even on long journeys so i'll get that looked at.
Also back to the ECU like so many before me i bought the car without the red key (I know i shouldn't, just couldn't help myself!) will i need it if i reset the ECU?
Cheers again people.:)

northernmonkey said:
will i need it if i reset the ECU?

Doubt it. My 899 has had its ECU reset/battery disconnected loads of times and I haven't needed the red key :)

quality, cheers. I'm spending all day saturday climbing all over it with spanners so i'll let you all know how i get on.
Thanks for your help.

northernmonkey said:
i think it might be the temperature sensor, takes ages for the temp guage to show anything then it barely goes over 50 even on long journeys so i'll get that looked at.

No thats not the temperature sensor wrong sounds like a knackered thermostat, either one that has stuck open or had the guts taken out, to stop it over heating.

Hi All,
Well i think i've sorted it, took it over to a mates who had some spare bits kicking about, he reckoned it wasn't the thermostat, he had a spare throttle body so we put that on it and as far as i know the temperature sensor is in there so that got replaced with it. The airbox and throttle body were full of oil which probably wasn't doing it any good, does anyone know why it'd be breathing so much oil?? so after new air filter and throttle body its running much better now and seems to be using a lot less fuel, the only problem now is it's idling at 1700rpm, does anyone know how to turn the idle down?
still need to get a new guage temp sensor but it seems to be working a bit better now anyway since we messed with it.
Thanks for your help guys. :)

Back