Technical Reset of air bag light 97 Barchetta

Currently reading:
Technical Reset of air bag light 97 Barchetta

shadow 1

Hi all,
How do I reset the air bag warning light. Also is there a diagnostic socket to plug my lap top into on a 97 Barchetta. If so where is it located.

So confused by all this ECU stuff now, there are so many different things you can find and all they do is confuse me more

Today, I connected to the plug under the corner of the bonnet by the brake cylinder. Tried multiecuscan, no connection on any setting for any type of connector

Eventually tried trw2scan and it seems I found the fault on the airbag which I always thought was from connecting to the socket under the glove box, but no idea about the abs warning. Seems I have cleared the airbag warning though, so that’s a plus

If I have one request it is a dummies guide to all this explaining where to plug into on all different versions, what software to use, what setup to use in that software and how to make it work!

Hi,
I was in the same boat last week as you can see in the other topic here so did quite a lot of research, i'll post everything I learned here:

1) The cheapest way to read/reset codes is to buy a "KKL" cable. This is a special interface used by some brands including Fiat, Lancia and Alfa Romeo and comes in the form USB to ODB2.

2) You first have to figure out whether you have a ODB2 port or not. If you do, it's under the driver seat behind a flap.

If you have ODB2 you can buy a KKL cable and connect it directly under the seat and connect via the ODB2 port to all ECU's on the car. So engine, airbag and ABS.
However, because each ECU uses a different pin layout on the port, you either require aditional adapters to connect to each ECU, or you require a KKL cable with built-in switch.

Example with switch:

TPeOXsO.png

(Switch selector #2 for airbag)

Example with adapters:
TAE9Ity.png

(Red one is for the airbag)

After that it's simply a matter of connecting with the free version of MultiEcuScan and clearing the errorcode (ignition on).

On the PC side, don't use any USB-C -> USB-A converters but find an older laptop and connect directly.
Then, make sure the USB cable is detected in devicemanager without any errors. If it has errors, you need to install the driver which can be found here:

After that, in MultiEcuScan, I would advise to go to settings -> interface and let it auto-detect the correct COM port.

If you don't have ODB2 the process is pretty much the same, except instead of all ECU's going through the ODB2 port with different pin layouts, they each have their own 3-pin connector/cable.
So, you require a ODB2 to 3-pin adapter (don't forget to power it with 12V):
fiat3pin.jpg

The airbag ECU 3-pin should be under the dash on the passenger side (yellow cable).

You can still use either of the KKL cables shown above. Of course without adapters because you are connecting directly so no need for different pin layouts.
If you have the KKL with switch, you can leave it in the Engine ECU switch (#1).

With this setup you can also use the free version of MultiEcuScan, however, it depends on which airbag you have. See this list for more detail:

I also found some information about airbag serials ending in 98 which can't be reset by MultiEcuScan. Not sure what to do in this case, probably need to go to a fiat garage.

Hope that helps!

Last edited:
I have all the cables, in fact 2 of each but still couldn’t get any connection with the one under the dash

i still haven’t managed to get any diagnostics on the ABS sensors, so a, hoping that it won’t be an MOT failure so I can worry about it after the MOT

But, whatever I connect to, it is all a load of trial and error

maybe because it is a 1995 b with the 3 pin connectors and nowhere gives me definitive explanations of settings and setup to get the right information

I added some info to my post about the settings/pc bit of MultiEcuScan. With those things checked it should definitely connect to the Airbag ECU under the passenger dash. Also don't forget to turn on ignition I think it's also needed for the 3-pin even after you power it with 12V.

Back