Technical reset abs light

Currently reading:
Technical reset abs light

bearpanda

I thought I read some months ago a method for resetting abs light using mode button on dash, is that not correct?

A fault that is no longer present will be logged but the light should go off.

A fault light that remains on, suggests the fault still exists.

The above post was my understanding. Certainly if you have a faulty wheel sensor. After it's been fixed there is no need to clear the fault.

Not sure about an error in the module though

Worth checking the easy things first.

Brakes grabbing, fluid level and wheel bearings.

Does the speedo read correct ??

I'll find out with mine saturday when one of my sensor's is getting replaced
i've been without ABS since November time lol, hope all goes well

Be interested to find out

Never changed one on a Panda but on other makes I haven't had to reset the light.

Airbag yes. But then again they could blow up in your face with an intermittent

went to the garage today to see which abs was down, front left intermittent fault and the front right totally down.
but the mechanic said,

"why do you want your ABS fixed?"
"better braking without it"

...i'm still getting it sorted ;)

ABS saved me from an accident on wet leaves. A car backed out of their drive without looking and I did an emergency stop. Came to rest about a foot from their door. There is no way you could pump the pedal anywhere as good.

Get it fixed ASP would be my advice. Not only for your safety but for others as well

went to the garage today to see which abs was down, front left intermittent fault and the front right totally down.
but the mechanic said,

"why do you want your ABS fixed?"
"better braking without it"

...i'm still getting it sorted ;)

Seems a very good reason to never go near that mechanic again.

There is an argument that if you apply the correct amount of brake pressure to keep the wheels just off locking, that will stop you more quickly than if the ABS activates. This is true, but in any real emergency you don't have the opportunity to practice. A skidding car will take longer to stop than one with the ABS activated, so a car with ABS will be better.

If a car starts to skid, cadence braking, releasing the brakes and reapplying was always the recommendation. Almost impossible to do in reality, as once you are skidding towards danger you can't let go of the brakes. If you do manage to release and reapply, you can achieve perhaps twice or three times per second? And this releases all wheels. The ABS will release only the one(s) that are skidding, and can do it up to 15 times a second.

Better still is to look further ahead, and anticipate developing hazards, changing speed or position to allow for those developments, and avoid needing to brake in an emergency.

The real benefit of ABS isn't so much about stopping distances, it's about maintaining directional control. Once the wheels lock, you lose the ability to steer. ABS allows you to steer the car whilst braking at the maximum rate possible.*

As Portland Bill says, even with the best training, in a real emergency you'll most likely hit the brake pedal as hard as you can and turn the steering wheel to avoid whatever it is you don't want to hit. Whereupon without ABS, the car will skid, the rear may swing out, and you could very well freeze up - from that point, you're a passenger.

Another benefit is that it helps prevent you getting flat spots on your tyres.

For a bonus point, who can tell me the first vehicle to be fitted with electronically controlled ABS as standard?

*well, almost - there are some road surfaces where the car will stop in a slightly shorter distance with the wheels locked; for example, gravel, sand and deep snow.

Last edited:
*well, almost - there are some road surfaces where the car will stop in a slightly shorter distance with the wheels locked; for example, gravel, sand and deep snow.
Absolutely about the steering. When training qualified drivers we used to do a brake and swerve exercise at 40mph. Surprising how often the car would stop before completing the full left/right swerve. Loses so much speed with the steering.
Don't try this at home. Needs a good understanding of the vehicle dynamics and the right road. Had to stop doing them as others had a few mishaps apparently.

When we have snow I like to get the learners onto a large car park and play with harsh steering, braking and acceleration. Good to demonstrate how the ABS really does not like snow, with the unit under the bonnet rattling like a machine gun. Then with careful braking, can stop significantly sooner.
But in normal conditions, ABS is better than not.

Don't forget that if the ABS isn't working, neither is the EBD.
yep, when my ABS code was cleared (just to test see if both sensors were still out) the EBD warning came up on the dash then the ABS light came back on (n)

my 100HP is booked in for both front ABS sensors :cool:

My panda has NONE of this.

In 14 years of ownership.. the only 'accident damage' was @3 mph..
A metal gate post 'de.cloaked' millimetres from the n/s rear wheel arch.

Not even 4 wheel steering was likely to save us.

Driver AIDS are just that..

97% of uk motorway collisions are due to driver error.

I was having trouble with the ABS light when I reached the car this summer. Read from the error codes which meant that the left sensor was broken. I switched the changed error code to the right. Then I read on any forum that there may be problems with moisture in the abs unit itself. Lost the contact then i saw once that there were moisture and erroded contacts. After cleaning and lubrication, I got the abs lamp to turn off without any reset of the error codes.

Thanks for all the comment all....

sorry been away for a while

To ans the question why is ABS light on Fiat garage has advised its the ABS Control Unit, which was recalled in 2009, however the paperwork says it was repaired not replaced as per the recal notice, FIAT in Italy refusing to play ball.

So I am thinking of replacing with 2nd hand ABSpump/ Control unit and will then assume i would need to use a scan tool to reset light, just i had vague memory of reading somewhere you can used dash. I know on other makes you can.

Any advice on replacement of pump welcome, assume its a pig of a job plus will require the bleeding etc afterwards...???

Thanks for all the comment all....

sorry been away for a while

To ans the question why is ABS light on Fiat garage has advised its the ABS Control Unit, which was recalled in 2009, however the paperwork says it was repaired not replaced as per the recal notice, FIAT in Italy refusing to play ball.

So I am thinking of replacing with 2nd hand ABSpump/ Control unit and will then assume i would need to use a scan tool to reset light, just i had vague memory of reading somewhere you can used dash. I know on other makes you can.

Any advice on replacement of pump welcome, assume its a pig of a job plus will require the bleeding etc afterwards...???

what error code are you getting ?

Without the code we are limbo regarding advise.

Back