Technical Replacing rear shock absorbers

Currently reading:
Technical Replacing rear shock absorbers

I replaced the rear shock absorbers today. It was an easy job, but I'll post a brief description and some pictures anyway.

1. Loosen the M12 nut at the bottom eye of the shock absorber.
attachment.php

2. Put a jack under the spring and lift it a little until you can easily push back the bolt through the bottom eye. Take out the bolt

3. Loosen the M10 bolt through the top eye of the shock absorber.(at the left hand side you'll need some extension because the silencer sits a bit in the way.)
attachment.php

Remove the bolt end the shock absorber will drop out.

4. Swap the old shock absorber for a new one.
I never take risks with handling and road holding, so I wanted a good pair of rear shock absorbers. I found a pair of Bilsteins for 103,18 Euro including postage at Prinz Autoteile GmbH via TEILeHABER.de.
attachment.php

5. To install the new shock absorber first insert the M10 bolt through the top eye and tighten it.

6. Lift the track control arm a little with a jack so you can easily insert the M12 bolt through the bottom eye of the shock absorber. Put the M12 nut back on and apply some Locktite.

Tighten the top bolt with 70 Nm and the bottom nut with 88 Nm.
attachment.php

There's nothing more to it. :)

Attachments

• Change shock absorber 01.jpg
    Change shock absorber 01.jpg
    348 KB · Views: 2,827
  • Change shock absorber 02.jpg
    Change shock absorber 02.jpg
    297.3 KB · Views: 2,476
  • Change shock absorber 04.jpg
    Change shock absorber 04.jpg
    472 KB · Views: 2,459
  • Change shock absorber 05.jpg
    Change shock absorber 05.jpg
    388.9 KB · Views: 2,607
Is yours a mk2 (facelift) model? The top subframe mountings for the shock look completely different to my 2003 ones. Or maybe I need new specs.....and new torch batteries.
:shrug:

I did this job about three weeks ago. It was nice to have a straightforward job, with no hitches.
Good guide; clear pictures; so that's what bump stop mounts looked like :chin:

Back