Technical Replacing oil sump, 3ltr X250

Currently reading:
Technical Replacing oil sump, 3ltr X250

dally

Hi folks, A mechanic friend told me a new oil sump was needed before I started to have a problem. He told me it was easy to do. I'm no mechanic but if I just need to replace one thing for the same I can generally do it.

Of course I am now stuck. There is one stud I can't get to properly. It is by what I'm guessing is a support for the drive shaft, which has the alternator on top of that. I can't unscrew the stud far enough out to allow the bracket holding the sump to drop free. Is it possible to loosen this drive shaft support slightly to allow play so I can continue, if so how? Or am I missing something easier (hope so)

It's a 2007 motorhome X250 with a 3litre engine
Many thanks.

Ok then. Plan C. I tried loosening the bearing support so it might drop down enough to get at this last bolt. No good, wouldn't budge.

so, I'm now thinking, what if I loosen and move the drive shaft slightly so I can expose this bolt? I'm thinking set up as tho I'm going to completely remove the shaft but just slide it out a couple of inch or so. I'm wondering if I gently tap the back of the inner CV housing if this will be enough to move it just enough. Any advice would be warmly welcomed.

Back