Technical Replacing Fuel in tank - What is easiest/quickest way to do it ?

Currently reading:
Technical Replacing Fuel in tank - What is easiest/quickest way to do it ?

Hello to all fellow FIAT admires!

I am new to FF and having had a brief scout-around, what a nice place it is to be in (y)

I own a 2000 model, 1998cc 20v normally aspirated, which has been under cover in my garage and not driven for the best part of five years :eek:

I now would like to drive my coupe again but I am worried that the petrol in the tank (50% full) would have 'gone-off' so I need to empty the tank and replace with fresh juice. I have attempted to siphon it off through the filler neck of the tank but was thwarted by the anti-siphon feature installed in it (wire mesh, apparently) :bang:

I would like to ask; has anybody successfully drained a fuel tank and which method did you use? Or maybe someone can direct me to a site or download, which would have the info ? :worship:

Hello to all fellow FIAT admires!

I am new to FF and having had a brief scout-around, what a nice place it is to be in (y)

I own a 2000 model, 1998cc 20v normally aspirated, which has been under cover in my garage and not driven for the best part of five years :eek:

I now would like to drive my coupe again but I am worried that the petrol in the tank (50% full) would have 'gone-off' so I need to empty the tank and replace with fresh juice. I have attempted to siphon it off through the filler neck of the tank but was thwarted by the anti-siphon feature installed in it (wire mesh, apparently) :bang:

I would like to ask; has anybody successfully drained a fuel tank and which method did you use? Or maybe someone can direct me to a site or download, which would have the info ? :worship:

Hi, generally FIAT use a plastic access cover to get to the fuel pump in the top of the tank,
ten minute job to get to the fuel directly.., then you can syphon from the tank directly..,
I'm unsure of the Coupe's layout.. perhaps ePER will assist..,
http://eper.fiatforum.com/eper/navi...INT_MODE=0&EPER_CAT=SP&GUI_LANG=3&WINDOW_ID=1

Charlie - Oxford

Hello Charlie, thank you for your reply.

Yes you are right - according to Coupe manual, there is access to the fuel pump under rear bench-seat.

Should be a simple job to apply power from battery directly to pump & collect pumped fuel into a container. Will try tomorrow morning ☺ Have a nice weekend.

Regards,
Michael

Hi Charlie, I've just got round to reading the content of post you kindly linked me to. Thank you .
It's a much more complicated job than I first anticipated.. so I am glad that I didn't dive straight into the job today, instead took a chance on running existing fuel through engine.. and it was fine ! ?

I don't know what I was worried about.. the engine started first time and idled and revved sweetly.
I immediately went to buy two cans of super-unleaded and added these to the tank, just to be sure.

Goes to show then that VERY old fuel is more than likely OK to use , so long as the filler cap remains tight, so no air or moisture can enter the tank ?

Regards, Michael

Back