Technical Replacing crankshaft breather hose - grande punto 2008 1.4 8v

Currently reading:
Technical Replacing crankshaft breather hose - grande punto 2008 1.4 8v

Mezion

The point:
I need to replace my crankshaft breather hose, as it has deteriorated. Questions below on what to use?
The Questions:
Should I replace it with some good oil/petrol resistant tubing and hose clips from the local auto store? If so, would reinforced transaparent PVC also work?
Or should I use parts (part 71769083 and clips) sourced from ebay?

The Story:
I've inherited a Grande punto 2008 1.4 8v dualogic auto, and want to bring it up to scratch/keep running as long as possible.
Had some problems start cold, and issues driving around first gear - bunny-hopping behaviour, sort of trying to enguage the clutch too much when the enging is outputting too much power, causing the engine to start to stall. This behaviour in braking at lights was horrible, as I would have to keep adjusting the brake in anticipation of the gear changes and guessing how much it would roll vs use the engine to brake. It had me driving it in manual, because auto was too hard to anticipate.
Found that the crankshaft breather hose had cracks, taped up with silicon tape and found that is has helped the cold-start issue and removed most of the issues around low speeds/first gear. These notes might help others experiencing similer symptoms.
I understand this part has to be replaced over time.
I think I have found the replacement part number (71769083) and am contemplaiting purchasing it from overseas via ebay. I really hate having to go through ebay for parts, but I haven't been able to find a local store that could help.
Next options is getting one from an auto-wreakers, which I then have to question its expected lifespan.
I don't think there are many options after that, although I haven't tried a fiat service centre yet.
The next problem I see is that to use this hose correctly, I will also need to get the Clic & Clic R-type tool and probebly worth getting some extra clips if I decide to continue using them. I can only find them on ebay too.
When investigating alternatives and looking around on here, I could see a suggestion of getting some good resiliant hose and replace with clips with screw-type hose clips. I don't know if this is good advice or not.
The thought came to mind of replacing it with reinforced clear pvc, as I remember other posts mentioning keeping this pipe clean, so I thought being able to see gunk being built up could be useful. I don't know if the reinfoced pvc is good to use in this scenario, but I'm guessing it would be pushing the limits of the material.
Not having an education in car mechanics, I don't know what is a good idea, vs "it seemed a good idea at the time, but in hindsight, was really stupid". I feel I have enough knowledge to say I don't have knowledge on how the materials work over time. I know there are reasons why they set specific parts, and this moulded hose and clips looks to be such a part. However I also understand that the reason for some of these things solely to make things easier, and at the end of the day any resistant well-secured pipe of the same diameter may do exactly the same thing.

Back