Replacing Bravo door cards for leather :)

i used a haynes that told me exactly how to get the trim off, basically first thing you wanna do is use allen key and take off door opener thing.. and theres a bolt behind that that needs undoing (no pics for this bit im affraid!) then theres the 3 down the right side of the door... some underneath..

for electric windows, use a flat head screwdriver, and a cloth to protect the trim and leaver the switch panel off, disconnect and put to one side.

its a pain in the bum to get the trim off after you've taken all the bolts out.. and its more than likely you WILL crack the plastic at the lock pin :( i know i did.

needs a firm but gentle tug and pull and wiggle to get the whole thing off, but once you have.. you can go onto the next stage![BREAK=Removing the cloth card]

now you've got the trim off.. hijack your parents dining table and prepare for the worst bit :rolleyes:

this is what you should be faced with!
30122007368.jpg

the cloth door card is held on in a very weird way.. its like.. the card has holes in it.. the plastic trim has spikes.. the spikes go through the hole, and then had the top melted so its like a T up and through the card.... if that makes ANY sense

30122007367.jpg

after uhming and ahhing for awhile.. i thought right, ill cut the tops off the little things with some sort of saw.. nope, didnt work.

i then thought ah ha! :idea: and ran to the shed (well.. walked) go get this gas soldering iron my dad has.. that has a little attachment that is a knife! a heated knife! hurrah! i also got myself something to pry the card off with.. so a chisel had to do :)

30122007369.jpg

so i started by trying to cut the tops off the little weird things that hold the card onto the plastic, that worked for a while, but then realised if i dug into the middle bit.. that worked just as well.. basically just melt away the plastic blobs on the wood bit... but dont set it on fire like i did a few times :rolleyes:

30122007370.jpg

once you've melted away enough, on all the pegs, using a cloth as a form of extra leverage and protection.. use your prying up devise to seperate the card from the plastic trim, trying not to crack the plastic!! seriously... be careful!

30122007371.jpg

TA DAAAAA!!!

30122007372.jpg

[BREAK=attaching the leather]

this bit is really hard.. the only proper points are the plastic pegs.. but the leather has holes in it where it was removed from the HGT plastic trim.. i just covered each peg in adhesive, and then found anything i could that was heavy to push the leather down. at this point i had to take it outside cos my parents wanted to use the table.. :rolleyes:

30122007373.jpg

its quite hard to get the leather attached, so try anything you can.. i tried to get some silicone to try and make more pins like the orignals.. which you can see in the picture.

ive not reattached the trim yet... cos its dark.. but it should look good! it comes away abit from the trim but when its pushed back on, the points behind the leather should push it up against the trim more.

so there we have it! i managed to get the trim and the card off the trim, in under an hour :)

good luck!!! (y) :slayer:

johnson550

Fiats since 1973
A glue gun does the job exactly its almost the same sort of stuff its held on with. The only thing to remember is to hold the gun on the peg to warm it up before you send the glue out it sticks better.

Adrian Bravo

Speedbump grimacer
Staff member
Nice kay,
Its tricky seperating the card from the plastic. I had to do it cause my plastic was smashed to bits and I couldnt find a card in my colour.

I used half a tube of no more nails one one card :p Its rock solid now.

The plastic box in the middle was good, for extra strenght. I put no more nails down the sides and where it meets the card.

Those red plastic clips are a nightmare badly designed. My originals where smashed to nothing, my new card was ok but the original glue wasnt holding them

Oh yeah I think your supposed to lift the card of the door with the black top trim still attached, much easier. Even though haynes says not

Last edited:
OP
OP
kayl0rz

kayl0rz

Tina & Buttercup
if you were to remove the trim now... you would see nothing but lashings of Silver Duct Tape holding the leather cards on :ROFLMAO:

they started to fall off a little, so i tried everything and nothing worked... so it was trusty duct tape that came to my rescue!

Adrian Bravo

Speedbump grimacer
Staff member
No more nails has lasted. I was impressed, normally anything that involves glue just never works for me but this has. :D

Adrian Bravo

Speedbump grimacer
Staff member
On my new door cards I used araldite and buscuite tins!
This is so solid. Worked really well, especialy where the plastic snapped at the door pin.

Make sure you use G-clamps while the glue sets.