General Replacing Alternator (1.2 8V)

Currently reading:
General Replacing Alternator (1.2 8V)

Hi Folks

I'm making preparations for a possible alternator change on my Son's 1.2 8v. The Haynes manual says that the a/c needs to be drained & pipes removed to get access to the upper alternator mounting bolt. I've done a search & checked the guides, but can't find any sort of 'how to' or other info.

Is anyone able to confirm that the a/c lines do have to be moved, or is there a clever trick that get's around this requirement?

Many Thanks :)

1. Some folks claim, that yes, you can replace an alternator without draining the A/C, you "just" have to undo the A/C compressor bolts and wiggle it a bit (just be careful not to stress the hoses and hard line tubing too much - release the retainers/brackets holding tubes to the body).

2. Job is fairly hard (first time), tricky, but doable. Mostly from the bottom of the car - big inconvenience (and "show stopper" for many people).

3. Maybe you will need to lift the engine a bit (jack it under the oil pan) and/or remove the engine mount (timing belt side). Plus wheel liner/arch, maybe.

4. "Special" tools may be required, like shortened (cut) or bent wrench, to reach a bolt, plus set of small (1/4") sockets. Or something like that. Improvise.

5. If there's no Guide...make one! Tackle the problem and share your experience, solutions.

6. Most important. Do not start new threads without searching (Google, Forum, YouTube). There should be punishment for such behavior (forum ban for a year).
Example result: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XiiXM4GPjmk

Last edited:
So, I tootled off down to Bournemouth on Saturday to meet my Son, only to find that the alternator had seized, causing the aux belt to snap.

Having done a lot of research & watched a number of video's I still wasn't able to get the alternator changed. There really isn't a lot of room to work in that driver-side corner & I just couldn't get anywhere near that top bolt (n):bang:

Resigned myself to getting a local garage to sort it.:cry:

Probably not very helpful but I managed to replace our alternator a few years without touching the AC.
From memory it wasn't a particularly pleasurable experience during a cold winter outside and very fiddly to work on the bolts blind, I seem to remember using a small 1/4 socket and did it all from the top of the engine.
Like I said probably not very useful information as I would likely get a garage to do it next time!

Just a quick update; my son managed to get the work done at a garage local to him. Seems like they took pity on his student status and only charged him £45 for 2hrs work (I supplied the alternator & new aux belt)!!! So a big shout out to RNJ Auto's(y)(y)(y)

Back