Technical Replacement rear dampers for lowering springs?

Currently reading:
Technical Replacement rear dampers for lowering springs?

dac69er

Established member
One of my apex rear dampers has a knackered top bush so need to replace it.

I want to replace the both, but wondered what people suggest?

I have the full apex lowering kit at the moment.

Do I need "performance" rear dampers or can I get buy with some cheapo ones over the winter?

I'm going to try and contact apex, but I am not hugely impressed with their dampers :(

On my 2 previous 'centos, I've done it both ways.

My first Cinq. Sporting had a 5cm drop on standard dampers. I can't recall any issues with this. But it's a long, long time ago now!

My second Cinq. Sporting had a full Bilstein shock and damper kit for a similar drop.

I'd probably go with the cheapo option myself - you may find it's fine and you'll have saved yourself loads of money!

The apex dampers havnt exactly lasted that long and whilst they weren't very expensive, they cost enough that I would expect them to last more than 10k miles.

Will see if anyone else has an opinion. If not, I will just get some cheap dampers.
I could then look at polyurethane replacement bushes for the apex dampers once they are off.

Strongflex do bushes for the rear dampers.....cheap(y)

i did see them, by only issue is that the apex rear damper top bushes are thinner than most other brands of damper so i am not sure if those bushes would be suitable.

i need to get them off and measure them really. hopefully they are salvagable.

I’ve an 899 Cinq which I put springs and dampers from a Sei Abarth, except that I couldn’t undo the top rear damper bolt, so the std original 899 dampers stayed on it and I never got round to changing them.

The std rear dampers were fine with the Abarth springs, so I’d say you’d be fine with a cheap pair to get you through the winter.

Great, thanks.

I assume the dampers are pretty much the same between the cinq and sei and all the different engine types in between?

Alot say they don't fit the sporting, but standard I can't see there being any real difference?

Back