Technical Replacement lock barrel for existing key (panda 2007)

Currently reading:
Technical Replacement lock barrel for existing key (panda 2007)

bristolfiat

Hi,

Unfortunately someone broke into my Fiat Panda 2007 and damaged the drivers side lock so it no longer works. My garage said that Fiat quoted them a ridiculous cost for a replacement lock (£500?!), so they suggested using a local locksmith to cut a replacement barrel to fit the existing key.

However I'm unclear about where to source the replacement barrel from. The locksmith could not get this part from their supplier (they usually work with newer models). They said that it needs to be a "key in kit" format so that they could cut the barrel to fit the existing key (for a cost of £25).

Any suggestions of a good source for this? For example would this ebay listing work as it seems to indicate that it would be compatible with my car model?

Thanks for any advice!
James

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
I'm having almost the same problem, where someone tried to brake into my trunk and ruined the lock.

The suggestion with the airbag is a good idea! However, would it then still be possible to turn the airbag on/off?

Punto airbag switch works direct swap, should be cheap just have a different key. Leave the key in the glovebox

To change them don’t remove the glovebox it just flips out with a credit card or similar

If you pull the box out first it will damage the switch

I fitted a Punto into a 05 panda and swapped the barrel over unfortunately it was a number of years ago and can’t remember what the barrel looked like

I'm having almost the same problem, where someone tried to brake into my trunk and ruined the lock.

The suggestion with the airbag is a good idea! However, would it then still be possible to turn the airbag on/off?
If you remove the blades from a replacement airbag switch

Any key will switch the airbag on and off

Fiddly but diy possible

Punto and panda use the same part possibly other fiats also

Punto airbag switch works direct swap, should be cheap just have a different key. Leave the key in the glovebox

To change them don’t remove the glovebox it just flips out with a credit card or similar

If you pull the box out first it will damage the switch

I fitted a Punto into a 05 panda and swapped the barrel over unfortunately it was a number of years ago and can’t remember what the barrel looked like
Mine was literally just a lock cylinder with some tumblers sticking out. Held in by a single cross head screw.

Agree you need to be very careful with this job. I was removing the glovebox to look for something else and broke the airbag switch.

Fiat want £100 for one new and they are getting rare. They fit the same switch to a raft of cars so breakers can sometimes help.

Some years ago a locksmith said he would reorganise the tumblers on a lock barell to match a car key if you can then find another lock you might be able to get this done for your key, and use this for the airbag switch afterwards. It would then be another spare. Worth asking.

Back