Technical replacement engine or sell as is?

Currently reading:
Technical replacement engine or sell as is?

balajit

the engine on me punto x reg 1.2 is knackered. its done 60,000. I dont know whether to sell it as it is, or to get a replacement put in it then try to flog it. Is it worth doing the latter?

Also im unsure about what is the best way to sell a flawed car....

any advice would be appreciated!

hi..engine was damaged through bad overheating/low oil. Spent over a grand on it fixing various parts of engine (inlet manifold, head g etc)..:yuck: then found still loosing oil i.e problems remain. Am told there is pressuring in the sump..looks like problems with pistons though cant tell till engine stripped..have been quoted bill several hundreds pounds:)yuck: :yuck: ) and even then am told cant guarantee it will be ok..reluctant to pour more money into to fix this engine.. Thus why looking at a replacement engine, if only to help re-sale value. But before do that wondering if i should just sell as it is....

Thanks for that...any rough idea about how much a average garage would charge to fit it??

The other option is to trade it in against a newer car, many dealers dont even start up the part exchanges.

I was in a similar situation with my Merc A class having spent nearly £2000 on it and it still had problems so just went to a garage and traded it in for my punto.

The other option is to trade it in against a newer car, many dealers dont even start up the part exchanges.

I was in a similar situation with my Merc A class having spent nearly £2000 on it and it still had problems so just went to a garage and traded it in for my punto.

what a great upgrade from a merc :D

ah well, at least you shouldnt have bother with it!

mk1 A class were OK, but maybe not as great as they could have been.

sounds like you've had a bad one aswell! unlucky. just ditch that engine, find a good used one thru a reputable breakers yard (or someone you know). £150-250 for a good working one with low miles (less than 50k).

Back