Replaced battery, now car will not start!!

Currently reading:
Replaced battery, now car will not start!!

Tuscany

Hi Guys,

I have got another problem, went to replace an old battery on my Fiat Punto evo GP 1.4 8v with a new Exide battery and now the car will not start.

There is a padlocked car symbol on the dash and the display, displays "fuel cut off unavailable". The central locking works, the radio works, but when I turn the key in the ignition, all the dash lights come on as normal but nothing further happens, the car does not turn over, there is no sound at all!.
I tried the spare key (no buttons, flat key), the same thing happens, bugger!!:bang:
Help!!!

Tus

sounds like it could be a broken battery wire ..earth or positive....check no wires are not hanging down...

Hi Andy,

Yes charged the battery before hand, checked voltage at 12.48v, the clamps are clean and tight. All I can think off, is that I must have shorted it some how!

Has the car immobiliser been activated? or may be the keycode has been erased? should I disconnect the battery for a few hours, should I just do the quick release negative post? or disconnect everything?

Having a right old flap.

Tus

Also check that the wires are clean. Clean them of any rust. The same thing happened with my friends punto

Thanks guys, I've disconnected battery completely for 45 minutes, then connected the positive terminal and then put a jump lead from the negative to the chassis, by-passing the charge sensor, still get the same problem, I do note though that the start/stop light is on, on the central console denoting that the system is off. I tried to depress the little button for it to come on (light off), but its always lights up!

The cables look ok coming off the battery, not sure what to do now.
Henrietta, you said that your friend had a similar problem, was that fixed by just cleaning the battery posts etc. Mine are clean, no rust etc.

:cry: Tus

Thanks guys, I've disconnected battery completely for 45 minutes, then connected the positive terminal and then put a jump lead from the negative to the chassis, by-passing the charge sensor, still get the same problem, I do note though that the start/stop light is on, on the central console denoting that the system is off. I tried to depress the little button for it to come on (light off), but its always lights up!

The cables look ok coming off the battery, not sure what to do now.
Henrietta, you said that your friend had a similar problem, was that fixed by just cleaning the battery posts etc. Mine are clean, no rust etc.

:cry: Tus

did you sort it..??,
where are you , we may be able to help..!!;)

Hi,

Yes finally got it sorted, what I did was to remove the battery and battery tray and checked the wiring, making sure that the wires were plugged in correctly, and that the wiring looms were located were they should be and Voila!!, the fault disappeared, I recon its the battery condition checker on the negative terminal, the wire descends under the battery tray and I had moved that wire.

Thanks for offering, you are very kind!!(y)

Tus

Last edited:
Cheers s130, I thought a simple battery change, 30 mins, two days later finally working, its good to talk!!:)

Hi,

Yes finally got it sorted, what I did was to remove the battery and battery tray and checked the wiring, making sure that the wires were plugged in correctly, and that the wiring looms were located were they should be and Voila!!, the fault disappeared, I recon its the battery condition checker on the negative terminal, the wire descends under the battery tray and I had moved that wire.

Thanks for offering, you are very kind!!(y)

Tus

did you get a bigger battery tray in the end or go for the standard size battery?

Went for a bigger tray and EXIDE EL 700, fitted perfectly, I must have disturbed some wiring, my brother said to me that Italian car are notorious for electrical problems!!
A lot of hassle for a new battery!!

Tried that several times but did not work, but thanks for the advice(y)

Back