In this guide we are going to replace the Glow Plugs in a 1.3 Diesel Grande Punto, this was a 90bhp version but the parts will be the same on the 75 too.

Why am I replacing them?

I bought them last year, they were really cheap, I was having starting problems at the time which turned out to be the Injector Seals, so these were just left in my parts box. With winter on its way soon I thought I would change them anyway, and it was a nice day!

Tools needed
Flat blade screwdriver
8mm deep socket hex [6pt not 12pt], small extension and ratchet
pliers just to fish the loose plugs out if they are very hot.

So first off, it might help if the engine is warm, I had driven home from work an hour or so before I did this, then a short drive round to my back yard was enough.

Bonnet open, cos thats where the glow plugs live! MAKE SURE ENGINE IS OFF AND KEY OUT.

This is the airbox/engine cover, it needs removing.

001.jpg

I find the easiest way is to undo the big jubilee clip on the air intake pipe, pull it to the side, remove the connector to the MAF Sensor, note that the yellow tab faces down.

002.jpg

The airbox is now held in place with two rubber bungs, grab the whole assembly on each side and pull it up, care as its not strong, if it doesnt want to move spray some WD40 into the rubber bungs.

With the airbox out the way, move the rubber air feed pipe out of the way so you can see the glow plugs.

003.jpg

Looking at the front top of the engine, the glow plugs are in wires that do look rather like the engine has spark plugs!, I started at number 1 end [cam chain end, furthest from gearbox], the wires just pull off the glow plugs, a little tug and they are away, work on one at a time.

004.jpg

Starting with number 1 here, 8mm deep socket [hex type not 12point], the glow plugs should not be tight.

005.jpg

Here is the old and new one pitched against each other, the old ones look fairly recent to be honest. [old one at top]

006.jpg

Here are all 4 old ones, they really arent too shabby, will probably be ok for spares.

007.jpg

Make sure all the wiring plugs are snapped back into place, here you can see the new glow plugs just shining away between the wires and the cylinder head.

008.jpg

Now, refit your air box, two plastic pipes and the wiring connector.

009.jpg

And thats it!

Make sure all tools are clear and start your engine, you will notice better starting from cold though.

Total time, less than 30mins!

Skill level 1, easy! (y)
Reactions: varesecrazy