Renewing Driving licence

Currently reading:
Renewing Driving licence

RalphM

Established member
If you are over 70 or what ever it is you have to renew your licence every 3
years, due to covid and strike action this is taking many weeks, do it on line
if you can as you get a receipt and it is a quicker turn round.
If like me they wanted a new picture I had to do it by post, I have been waiting
for weeks and even though I had sent it the day after getting the renewal
was fast running out of time, you can on the site check if it's been issued you
need your driving licence number nat insurance no and post code I did that and
mine was issued a day ago so am ok to drive.
You can also have it checked at a post office they then send it off this again
cuts time but there is a extra fee.
So do it on line if you can
Do it as soon as you can after getting the notice.
If you start to run out of time and have sent it off check on the DVLA site if
it as been issued.
If it hasn't you can fill in a query I did a few days back but nothing came back.
Other than that it's ring them if you can get them to answer.

:bang:

DVLA seems to be in an almighty mess just now. This morning I watched "Rip Off Britain" whilst waiting for Mrs J to finish getting ready to go out to the shops. They highlighted some people who were having enormous problems trying to either renew or get their licences back after medical intervention had suspended it

Because it's a medical request nothing can be done on line, it all has to be done by post. One of our close relatives is caught in this "trap" and it's affecting the ability to go out to work and earn a living. Trying to make contact by 'phone is an absolute joke, many attempts made without any success.

On the Rip Off Britain program there was an HGV driver caught in exactly the same "trap" but guess what? after Rip Off Britain's intervention the license quickly arrived!

What an absolute joke, This is deeply affecting people's ability to go about their daily lives and earn a living. For goodness sake, get your act together Swansea!

Last edited:
Was the item about translation of German Motorcyle Licences into UK HGV ones ? :)
I only caught the tail end of it so it just registered with me that they were talking about delays in issuing. However it raised it's head again on the BBC local news where they were highlighting a young lad up somewhere in the islands who had waited months for his provisional which still hadn't arrived and the testing authority refused to let him take his practical test, which had been booked for months, because he couldn't physically show them his licence!

I only caught the tail end of it so it just registered with me that they were talking about delays in issuing. However it raised it's head again on the BBC local news where they were highlighting a young lad up somewhere in the islands who had waited months for his provisional which still hadn't arrived and the testing authority refused to let him take his practical test, which had been booked for months, because he couldn't physically show them his licence!
I'm confused how you book a test without a lisence? When I did my car lisence years ago you needed your lisence number to book it?

Unless that has changed same with the theory test you need your lisence to take that?

I'm not quite sure of the facts here, you know how confusing some of these things are, but I think he'd had his licence for a while and had returned it for renewal, so probably had the physical license when making the booking? He was definitely saying he had photocopies but they were unacceptable. I was hearing it in one ear whilst Mrs J was "prattling away" in the other one and all this with hearing aids which amplify everything equally to add to the confusion. Getting older sure has it's problems, but it sure beats the alternative!

Last edited:
DVLA seems to be in an almighty mess just now. This morning I watched "Rip Off Britain" whilst waiting for Mrs J to finish getting ready to go out to the shops. They highlighted some people who were having enormous problems trying to either renew or get their licences back after medical intervention had suspended it

Some years ago there was a spate of paper licences being replaced with plastic with where everything was gone except the most basic car driver qualification. Bikers lost their bike licence. People with caravans could no longer tow and HGVs got demoted.

https://www.motorcyclenews.com/news/2009/april/dvla-lost-my-licence-entitlements/

Edit looks like there was an eventual solution.
https://www.passyourbiketest.co.uk/content/dvla-finally-ends-licence-debacle/

Back