Renault Megane

Currently reading:
Renault Megane

if your looking for a big upright tippy over modern hatchback, sean leon (new one or one just replaced) and get a top end diesel or 1.8t 20v (any), they're still not exactly quick, but can be had for similar money, built a sht load better than the frenchies and appear to have less body electrical problems.

Unfortunately the Seat won't be any good for Luvduv since Seat's are no longer sold in Australia. 1999 was the last time the sold any cars here.

Troy.

Last edited:
I'm not actually looking for another car (yet), but thought I get people's opinion on it because my friend (who I don't like talking to anymore) bought one recently and I'm just wondering what the car is like :D

Not sure if you were referring to previous models but the Vel Satis and Avantime were pulled from the UK after (unsurprisingly) dire sales. Due to such a limited production run, though, Avantimes are becoming a serious rarity. Sought after, I'm not so sure, maybe another 15 years down the line.

I loved the big-arsed Megane when it came out but other cars now have my heart, though I would have the diffed-up Renaultsport version within a matter of seconds.

I was, the Satis was for sale (new) until about a year ago at a rough guess so I wasn't being too specific.

I am seriously considering a Megane 225 on graduation but it depends on what I want to do with my money in 12 months time..

i reckon they missed out on styling! if you look at the 3 door and instead of the out of place triangle at the back you just follow the curve of the windows it wouldn't look too bad!
my friend had one which was terrible it even made my car look reliable! and he broke down when driving to london and when he took it to the garage they said he shouldn't of been driving to london!!:rolleyes: i've heard of another ones computer crashing and it having to be replaced. and now another person i know has a 1.5 diesel 5 door. though it is pretty much perfect just looks worse than the 3 door (which isn't that pretty).

apparently they were deadly serious. there is a chance they were joking but i doubt it. his car came with a so many point safety check when he bought it. and when he got it, it had one bald tyre and something else wrong with it. i wouldn't trust that garage if i was after a renault.
although i actually quite like some renaults. the later mk2 clios were nice, i learnt in 2 although they weren't especially quick or hugely fun (at least in comparison to my car) they were comfortable and not too bad to drive. especially in comparison to some rivals. of the ones i've driven anyway. renault are the only french company that i have any respect for.

To be perfectly honest, the only Renault's I would be buy would be the Renault Sport models. The RS Clio 182 was a ripper of a car to drive. The normal models are bit ho-hum.

Troy.

I might be dragging this one back out buuuuut...

I got rid of my Punto for a facelifted mk1 Megane (2000-2002 model), it's a high spec'd diesel with 105bhp, lots of goodies. It's been seriously reliable (no electrical faults at all! but no doubt you lot won't believe me as you're all french haters).

As you'd expect, being a diesel it's not for chucking round corners quickly, but it's good enough to make barries in theire spazzed up saxos and indeed, puntos, cinqs etc... look like they're travelling backwards ;)

Back