Renault Megane

Currently reading:
Renault Megane

luvduvs

SNAP!
Out of sheer curiosity and boredom, what are they like? Anyone have any experience to share about this car (particularly the later models)?

I have only known I person who had one. He got a pre-registered convertible from a Car "Supermarket " near here. It was written off when it was parked about 2 years ago. The owner tells me he is never ever going to buy anything made by Renault ever again, the car itself was fine to drive but electrical reliabilty was unacceptable, both body and engine systems. He is still buzzing around in the £500 Cinque he bought as stop gap which has needed no unscheduled maintenance is 100% reliable and costs next to nothing to run.

Our family has owned 2 Megane Scenics since about 1999 and a Megane II since 2005, what did you want to know?

they're french!!!

my GF's dad has 2 scenics, and my neighbour had a hatch (until i finally talked sense into him, now he has a fiesta instead, and says thats a lot better for him)
between them they've been nothing but trouble. especially the electrics.

i like the interiors (one has orange bits and suede) and they're nice to drive but they have typical french issues, which you'll already be used to as a fiat owner. electrics are risky, build quality is below average, but costs are low and depriciation isnt as bad as you'd expect. parts costs and availability are good, they're easy to work on, and despite the opinion of many of my peers i'm actually quite fond of the engine range.

the main issue with any megane, and indeed any french car, is that its as crap as a fiat but not as good looking, so why buy one? :D

Last edited:
Because their sport range leaves Fiat standing with nothing coming remotely close (right from the 175 bhp 2.0 dci through to the Megane F1 230)? Because the technology is good, albeit with issues normal with any new tech? Many, many reasons....Some valid for some, invalid for others.

But that's very subjective, as you know. Renault offer everything from a cheap Twingo (shortly) up to the the Vel Satis, engines from a 1.2 16v turbo up to 3.0 V6s and so on...

Renault offers "normal", "luxury" and "sporting" line-ups - Fiat currently offers "normal". So if you want anything but "normal", you immediately have to look elsewhere.

ive driven the 225 and tbh i wasnt very impressed

yes it was a capable car, but at the end of the day it didnt feel like it had 225bhp, it felt too heavy and although it went round corners quick enough (was driving it at brands under race tuition) the chassis just didnt feel as good as i was hoping. the rear had a tendancy to skip when pushing on a bit

Try the F1 230 then ;) Autocar put that and the Clio III top 2 in their hot hatch test:

nl32_autocar3.jpg

nl32_autocar4.jpg

Sounds like an ugly French Fiat but with a bit of extra grunt and the usual pain-in-the-a$$ hassles :devil:

I had a 2003 1.5 dCi and my mum now has a 2005 1.6 VVt and they were both very nice cars, I bought mine used with 14k on it and got rid a year later with 30k on and had not 1 issue at all, mine had the panoramic glass roof, keyless start etc which all worked fine and my mums has the leather interior which is lovely, they were particularly impressive on the motorway and both very economical, the only reason I didnt have another is coz that would have been a bit sad! My mums is in at the moment having a new variator on the camshaft but of course its free and we have a Modus courtesy car no problems.
I would recommend them to anyone, just get a good colour!

I drove the Megane II Phase 2 update when it was released in the Australia mid last year. It was the 2L petrol manual in Dynamique trim. I found the performance and handling adequate (not fantastic though), but the ride quality was good. The interior had plenty of storage spaces, including storage compartments in the floor up front, and the seating was comfortable. Despite the big arse of the hatch, the boot is small for a car of it's size.

Personally I think the other two frogs in it's class, the Peugeot 307 and Citroen C4 are better cars, they are nicer to drive are more spacious.

Troy.

Personally I think the other two frogs in it's class, the Peugeot 307 and Citroen C4 are better cars, they are nicer to drive are more spacious.

i think its hard to tell turds apart :D
but i guess the 307 would get my vote, and the C4 would be bottom of my list mostly for crimes against style.

the new shape ones are pretty acceptable, although unless you get a sporty model they just feel big and combersome.

if your looking for a big upright tippy over modern hatchback, sean leon (new one or one just replaced) and get a top end diesel or 1.8t 20v (any), they're still not exactly quick, but can be had for similar money, built a sht load better than the frenchies and appear to have less body electrical problems.

But that's very subjective, as you know. Renault offer everything from a cheap Twingo (shortly) up to the the Vel Satis, engines from a 1.2 16v turbo up to 3.0 V6s and so on...

Not sure if you were referring to previous models but the Vel Satis and Avantime were pulled from the UK after (unsurprisingly) dire sales. Due to such a limited production run, though, Avantimes are becoming a serious rarity. Sought after, I'm not so sure, maybe another 15 years down the line.

I loved the big-arsed Megane when it came out but other cars now have my heart, though I would have the diffed-up Renaultsport version within a matter of seconds.

Back