Technical removing fuel tank - exhaust in way..??

Currently reading:
Technical removing fuel tank - exhaust in way..??

Hi,
need the inner sill plating - OSR

garage quoted £390:eek:

as they said rear silencer, then fuel tank need dropping

I'm looking to remove tank + tow car to garage

2 hours welding =£120 ;)

anybody offer experience of tank-out work,

PS scrap value appears to be @£35:cry: mk 2 3dr sporting.

thanks Charlie

Lift back seat up,undo 3phillips screw holding black inspection cover,and disconnect fuel pump first ,or you will snap brittle plastic pipes to fuel line.

Hi, yes that bit i DID know;)

the whole exhaust is still pretty sound looking ( bosal)

so might just unclamp and pull off tail section.., :idea:

however I'm still hoping to get some expertise tips on the actual tank removal

from the peek under it at another garage yesterday, I've got 2 x filler / breather hoses,
and a steel band / strap to deal with.

Charlie

Once you disconnect fuel pump connections,remove bolts on tank,leave one on (opposite filler neck)loose to drop tank,remove filler and breather pipes at tank end,remove final bolt,and it's off on the floor.

From memory the handbrake cables only need un clipping from steadys,can leave cable ends where they are.But cables can be easily removed.Remove ashtray behind handbrake leaver in car,remove Allen screw,remove ashtray holder,10mm nut loosens and tightens hand brake.Easier to remove hole handbrake seround if you are struggling to replace hand brake cables.

OK - thanks for all your help and advice, (y)

on this 51 plate 1242 sporting ( 6 speed + aircon)

I removed the rear exhaust box.. joint is still directly below the tank..so unbolted the centre section hanger too

then tank was suspended on the handbrake cables..couldn't get the tank to swing forward and clear of the rear suspension beam without uncoupling the 2 x handbrake cables.. simple enough.. but getting the 2 x cable nipples out of the pivot bracket was REALLY awkward..they were almost "press-fits"

once the cables were gone the tank lowered easily,

discovered the tank breather hoses were BLACK , and went into the filler stack

along with the BLUE fuel line.

I'm taking lots of pics, and will add a guide once all parts are cleaned up and reassembled,
cheers,
Charlie

Back